We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

San Francisco...
9 posts
1 review
Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

We are traveling next week or the first time to the Caymans. Staying for 10 nights. Thinking of dividing to trip to 6 nights at the Westin and then heading to a condo around Rum Point/Kaibo for the last 4. Does this seem like enough time at both places? Can we take a ferry to Rum Point instead of renting a car? If so, will we be able to bring luggage?? It a last minute trip, I know, but there are still rooms/condos available. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, too! Thx

18 replies to this topic
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

This is a similar itinerary to our initial visit. Completely doable, but you'll need a car for your Kaibo/Rum Point portion.

Virginia
Level Contributor
560 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

Mirkifish, not sure when you're trip plans are, but I've been looking at a similar itinerary for a split SMB-Kaibo stay for a couple of months, for February-March timeframe this year. It seems though I waited to long the pull the trigger and the options aren't available for the specific dates able to travel either month, & combination options of places on my "A" list to choose from.

If there are specific dates and places you're looking at, the syncing the "transition" date with availability last minute might be challenging. My advice is that if you see something that you'd like on both ends, that works for your dates, book it soon! One end or the other may not be available next time you check.

(Granted, it might be a lot easier and with a Westin stay on SMB though, as more flexibility with larger quantity of room than a condo resort.)

3. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2018, 15:56

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

And this has NOTHING to do with the question at hand. marked as spam. Thanks for playing.

MA
Level Contributor
721 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

I’ve been traveling to GC for 2 decades and the past two years have been the most expensive and hardest to book for the prime holiday weeks( the only time I can travel). In fact, last year, I gave up searching as I could not justify the high prices( went elsewhere) and just went in the summer. This year I have just given up for Christmas and February (once again, can’t justify the high prices) and will travel elsewhere. If you are flexible with your dates- book when you see a good price. $25,000 for 6 nights at the Ritz, $15,000- for one person- please tell me that you bathe in gold for that price! The smaller places are running close to $2500 with air and the most interesting is Margaritaville is close to $5,000. 😂

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
100 reviews
6. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

There is great demand in Cayman for vacation accommodation for the past two seasons, due to the brutal hurricane season of two years ago that took out a lot of big destinations - St Martin/Sint Maarten, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico, etc.

So the availability for the cheaper places is going to be low as they book up quickly, and the laws of supply and demand mean that people can afford to put up their prices and still sell out.

Condos tend not to change their prices as quickly as hotels, which are usually tied to a booking system that predicts demand and adjusts prices accordingly, similar to that used by the airlines.

MA
Level Contributor
721 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

Btw- the 15,000 was the Kimpton.

I do know the reason behind the increase in prices ( hurricane detestation), but I personally can’t justify the increase so choose to go elsewhere until the summer prices go into play.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
117 reviews
8. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

OP....”detestation”....😂😂😂

Rates quoted by hotels usually do not include *Resort fees* or *Gratuities* which add considerably to the rates. Condos do not charge Resort fees.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,597 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

Yes, a Grand Cayman vacation comes with ever increasing costs. We too have vacationed there countless times over the past 20+ years yet opted for alternate destinations this year. Although able to pay, sometimes we cannot justify the cost no matter how much we do love going there! Encountering similar situation with another favorite destination...Napa Valley.

MA
Level Contributor
721 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.

Glad I’m not the only 20 year visitor who can’t justify these rates.

Hurricane devestation- auto correct wants to say detestation! 😂

Reply to: Questions dividing trip, SMB & Kaibo.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted