We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

New York City, New...
1 post
Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

I, my wife and 2 kids may be relocating to the Cayman Islands as I may have an employment opportunity there. We know nothing about the Cayman Islands lol except that it is a beautiful paradise.

What is the average rental cost for a family of four? Do we need to be aware of storms or severe hurricanes? Good schools? Don't mean to get off topic, yet there's just so much to inquire about and research.

Any suggestions or guidance is well appreciated!

Thank you

Steven

9 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
44 posts
113 reviews
1. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

Hi Steven,

For rentals, your best bet is to check out ecaytrade.com which will show you housing and rental costs. They'll vary quite a bit depending on where you want to be, SMB is the most expensive and it will get cheaper the further out of town you go.

The Cayman Resident site is a great resource for moving, living on the island, schools, etc. There are a number of schools but private schools for expats are expensive (I believe around $10k/year). Expats don't attend public schools.

There's quite a bit online if you do your Google research, you'll be able to find average weather temperatures (it's hot!), hurricane paths, etc.

2. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 October 2018, 02:33

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,975 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

Most employers will help you out with several of these points. If your work permit is one that allows you to have dependents (ie you make enough money) what is reasonable to you will be far different than what is reasonable for someone coming to work as a server or DM. If you are a partner in a law firm or accounting firm etc that will also make reasonable different from someone doing tech at a bank etc. As your employer will be paying quite a bit for your permit most try to make the transition as easy as possible so they don’t lose their investment. I would talk to them, look at New Resident, look at prices on e-cay and look at rentals at CIREBA. I would also most definitely come and visit for at least a week with your spouse to look at areas to live, schools, etc. Primary and secondary schools are more like their U.K. counterparts and can be quite costly that includes nursery schools. The cost of living is quite high which goes hand in hand with the quality of life.

Edited: 24 October 2018, 13:37
New Hope...
Level Contributor
799 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

Agree with Retrip that the best way to find a rental is ask your employer especially if they are subsiding your housing Real estate agents are also a good source. Schools are problematic. given that all non-Caymanians have to go to private school. Many schools have a waiting list so it pays to research the schools now. As mentioned above Cayman New Resident has a wealth of information including schools.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
1 review
5. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

https://caymanresident.com/

MD
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

Grand Cayman is very expensive in general. I don't know the housing costs but I am talking about everything else.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what field are you in? I'm wondering because I'd love to be able to land a job in a place like Grand Cayman, or even a remote job that would allow me to live in a place like there.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
1 review
7. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

Only a couple of us on this forum actually live in Cayman so have insight on rental costs, schooling, etc. You are best to check out https://caymanresident.com/ for information and also lean on your prospective employer. Most employers here are used to bringing in employees and will help you get set up. I think there are also some facebook groups for people moving to Cayman that you will find helpful.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,411 posts
197 reviews
8. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

Why is this post still up if every reply is deleted and the member’s account no longer exists?

For the record, the only post I flagged was my own.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,975 posts
81 reviews
9. Re: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?

They are having a brain fa*t.

Reply to: Affordable Rentals in Grand Cayman for Family Relocating?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted