We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessible snorkeling?

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Accessible snorkeling?

We are a family of three looking for a non-party environment for our Christmas vacation (our daughter is 16). We spent last Xmas on Roatan Island, Honduras and loved it but we like to try new places rather than stick with the same. We love to snorkel and hike and DO NOT want an all-I clusive type of vacation. We like beach bungalows as opposed to a large hotel environment. Anyone have ideas for us on Grand Cayman or is this not a place we want to go based on our preferences?

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
5 replies to this topic
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessible snorkeling?

I would look at the north side/rum point area of Cayman. It is much more expensive than Roatan. Book now Christmas fills up really fast.

B.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 01:27
Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,598 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessible snorkeling?

Well in many respects from what you have said yes. However June is very late to be looking for the upcoming Christmas especially as so many other destinations are still down from the past hurricane season. Christmas/New Year week is usually booked out a year in advance. There are lots of condos to chose from on the beach. Start looking at sites like caymanvacations.com, cicondos.com, vrbo. Also decide what part of the island might seem best to you. There is no crowding at any of the condo beaches as they maintain chairs and facilities for their guests. The three main areas are Seven Mile Beach (there are significant differences between central, north and south) Rum Point and the East End. All have something special to offer. I suggest you read through some of the other posts to get ideas. Also be aware that while the windward side of the island probably has more snorkeling opportunities (unlike the west side which is sandier beach), during winter months the wind at times be more prevalent. That said we never know what Mother Nature has in mind from one day to the next :)

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,470 Reviews
Grand Cayman
East End
East End
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessible snorkeling?

Thank you for the input!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessible snorkeling?

Since you specifically mention a beach bungalow, I recommend that you look at North Side/Rum Point area. As mentioned the snorkeling is superior in this area. There are only a few low-key AI dive resorts on the island, so no need to worry about that issue. Not much hiking unless you book the Mastic Trail through the National Trust. I think that you & your 16 year old would love Grand Cayman!

Mentioned in this post
North Side
North Side
Grand Cayman
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,470 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Mastic Trail
Mastic Trail
317 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accessible snorkeling?

I agree, but if you were happy in a beach bungalow in Roatan, and like proximity to great snorkeling focus on the Rum Point or North Side areas of Grand Cayman. The overdeveloped and congested Seven Mile Beach stretch would not be for you.

While most of the private homes in the areas I mentioned,would not be classified as bungalows, look into a two bedroom unit at the Sea Lodges and explore other options at caymanvillas.com or grandcaymanvillas.net.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 05:57
Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,470 Reviews
Grand Cayman
North Side
North Side
Grand Cayman