We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car needed?

Fulton, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Car needed?

Staying at the westin for 5 nights, 6 days. Should we get a rental? What are the best places to go that you need a car for?

12 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car needed?

It really depends on what you like to do. Do you want to drive out East for a day? Do you want to explore other places to snorkel? If not don't worry. The Westin has a great central location, water sports available on the property and many restaurants in easy walking distance.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman...
681 Reviews
Grand Cayman
New York
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car needed?

I wouldn't think you do if staying in the central seven mile beach. We rented one and we would rather walk to restaurants. There are so many in the central seven mile beach area. You can always go on tours or take a bus. The beach is not crowded but the driving in the central west bay road area is a little much for someone who is not use to the roadways and round abouts.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
689 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car needed?

The public minibuses that run up and down the SMB strip and all the way to George Town and West Bay and the Northwest Point touristic area (Vivo restaurant, Lighthouse Point / Divetech, Cayman Turtle Centre, Dolphin Discovery, Tortuga Rum Cake outlet, Cayman Motor Museum, Macabuca, Cracked Conch, Hell geologic attraction) pass right in front of the Westin. The minibuses are frequent during the day, and quite safe for visitors to use. They charge CI$2 (or US$2.50) per person per ride.

Mentioned in this post
George Town
George Town
Grand Cayman
West Bay
West Bay
Grand Cayman
Divetech
Divetech
781 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Cayman Motor Museum
Cayman Motor Museum
166 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Macabuca Bar & Grill
Macabuca Bar & Grill
982 Reviews
Grand Cayman
The Cracked Conch by the Sea
The Cracked Conch by the...
1,119 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Hell
Hell
1,569 Reviews
Grand Cayman
681 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Mamou, Louisiana
Level Contributor
20 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car needed?

I've rented from Hertz the last 4 years in a row. You can book online and tell them when your arriving, walk across the street and get your vehicle when you arrive. Always had great service and an affordable rate. Love having the option to drive around the island when and where ever we wanted without having to call or wait on anyone. Defiantly worth getting one.

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car needed?

Our first trip to GC was at the Westin without a car. It was fine but we've rented one ever since and I do not find the SMB traffic bad at all. I suggest renting a car for a day, perhaps to drive out to the East End or the Botanical Garden. Or maybe to Smith Cove just south of Georgetown and then dinner in West Bay where several good restaurants are located. I believe you'll find a car rental desk in the Westin lobby. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
681 Reviews
Grand Cayman
East End
East End
Grand Cayman
Smith Cove
Smith Cove
746 Reviews
Grand Cayman
West Bay
West Bay
Grand Cayman
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car needed?

“Car needed?”

No. Or yes. Depends what you want to do.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,857 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car needed?

No car needed, but you might want one for a day. There was an AVIS desk there last time we stayed. Pick up & drop off right there. Couldn't be easier.

Frisco, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car needed?

I debated the same thing, but when I calculated the cost of getting the family from Airport to the Westin ($25 per person), vs. cost of the rent car for 5 days, the decision to rent a car was very easy. The flexibility of having a car to go out is huge for us.

Mentioned in this post
681 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car needed?

Brent was the $25 per person for a bus transfer or a taxi. I hope the taxis are not charging per person now. They will certainly lose business if they are. I thought there was a surcharge over a certain number of people as there are in many destinations, but per person is just not right. I know the bus transfers are per person and never figure out why people actually take that route unless it is group travel.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car needed?

Ditto to what Retrip says. We always stay central SMB and usually rent a car at GCM upon arrival, but once took taxi from GCM and it was approx $20 for the two of us; another time did a last minute 5 day trip staying at Westin to be with son/daughter in law and could only secure air passage and room thru AA vacations via a package deal and opted to do their transfer which was with Tropicana Tours for which transport was priced per person at about $25. I would also suggest looking into the details and agree if taxi fare has recently changed to per person that would be a total turn off. Staying in the central SMB area does not necessitate having a rental car for your entire stay. Renting a car for a day or two right at Westin with Avis is super easy/convenient if you want to explore the island and/or go to restaurants beyond walking distance. The public bus does run quite frequently along the SMB corridor to and from GeorgeTown as well as to/from West Bay area during daytime hours.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Grand Cayman
Reply to: Car needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted