We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayman dollar to American dollar

Level Contributor
17 posts
Cayman dollar to American dollar

Hi in traveling to the Grand Cayman in a little over a week. I heard the Cayman Dollar is 1.25 of the American . I downloaded a couple conversion apps and they are giving me diffrent amounts . One says 1.22$ and the other 1.19$ . Can someone tell me what the acutal amount is or know a easy app that has the correct amount ? I just don't want to short anyone any money on our trip. Thank you

14 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
17 posts
1. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

And now im seeing 1.20 when i google the KYD to American

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
197 reviews
2. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

No need for an app. The conversion is US$1.25=CI$1. So a US$100=CI$80. A US $20 bill is $16.

Pay for everything using a credit card and you won’t have to worry about conversions.

There are some exceptions to the conversion rate. However, the more responses you get about these exceptions the more confusing and typically inaccurate information random people will post to this excruciatingly common question.

Level Contributor
17 posts
3. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

Thank you !!! Yes we plan to use mostly Credit cards . Just wanted to make sure for tiping purposes and incase a place doesn'take cards.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
197 reviews
4. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

Gratuity is almost always included and there are few places that don’t accept credit cards. Restaurant bills typically show the price in CI and US.

1 post
5. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

Yep. $1.25 U.S. = $1.00 Cayman.

80 Cents Cayman = $1.00 U.S.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
100 reviews
6. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

I agree with Smushie - the rate is the rate - places know exactly the conversion rate that they charge and will be able to give you the price (and accept payment) in U.S. Dollars.

The more you dig deeper into exchange rates (for example, there is no one exchange rate between any two currencies at any moment in time), the more confusing and complicated it gets. Hardly enough to be worth worrying about when you are on vacation.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
1 review
7. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

You are seeing the difference between the buy/sell (alternatively called bid/ask) rate. That same thing happens with all currencies globally. But on the street here in Cayman, .80 (or 1.25 the other direction) is most commonly used.

Level Contributor
17 posts
8. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

Ok thank you, yeah i figured as much just wanted to double check before we come .

3 posts
9. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

Make sure to use a card with no foreign transaction fees! Otherwise I think they can charge per transaction. Also get one with points.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
295 reviews
10. Re: Cayman dollar to American dollar

Hello, sorry to dig up this thread. From trolling this forum and other websites, I know that the USD is readily accepted. Just want to know about the bus. It is USD 2.50. Do they really accept USD quarters? Will be going there via a cruise line in January. (I'm already looking at cruise critic but I still love TA more). Or should I just give USD 3 and be done with it.

PS. Thinking of just taking the bus from the cruise harbor to the Turtle center.

Wanted to do a combined Stingray visit with a Turtle center visit but some outfits I emailed said that it would be cutting it too close with a 8 a.m. arrival and a 3 pm departure since we have to tender in and out. So will just probably do the turtle center on our own.

Many thanks!

Reply to: Cayman dollar to American dollar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted