We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?

5 posts
Save Topic
Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?

Hi,

We're planning a trip to Grand Cayman over christmas w/ our 3 boys (4,6,10). We're looking for affordable lodging 2-3k/week and it looks like we could either do the Comfort Suites or a 1BR condo.

Comfort Suites is close to SMB and comes with hotel amenities and a pool, but isn't on the beach or with a balcony. The condo options get us on the beach, but w/out amenities and in less central locations.

Does anyone with experience with the island have an opinion on what would be a better option for a family?

Also, if you have tips on lodging options in our budget, we'll take those too. Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
North Richland...
Level Contributor
432 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?

Holiday season on short notice is daunting. Many places book up well ahead of the season. If you go before Dec 15th, London House - a nice condo on great beach - has many options under $250/night. After the 15th, they double in price. I’m not sure about cost or availability at Comfort Suites during the holidays, but if a place like London House is over budget, CS might be a good choice.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?

Another thing to check...there are regulations about the number of people allowed in units. 5 people for a one bedroom might be too many. You might want to let us know what your budget is.

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?

Budget is 2-3k/week for lodging.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?

Expecting 5 people to live for a week in one hotel room with one bathroom does not sound like fun to me. If you can afford a one bedroom condo (and if you are allowed to have 5 people in that unit) then it’s a no-brainer to me. A condo will give you so much extra space, including a living room & fully equipped kitchen. All units are inspected by the Dept of Tourism & held to high standards, so no worries about that. You will be able to keep costs down by preparing simple breakfasts, lunches, & snacks right in your unit. And you will be right on SMB! Comfort Suites is fine, but you have no balcony or patio. The beach is just a short walk down a path. But the section of beach is quite small — in between the Marriott & South Bay Beach Club condos. I’d look at Northern SMB at the London House & others. You may have to raise your budget a little & I would say that time is of the essence, as most Christmas bookings are made a year in advance. Please let us know how you make out.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?

If you are in a less central location you definitely need a rental car for the duration of your time on the island. Over the Christmas period rental cars are in high demand and fairly costly. Believe it not most who go over Christmas make their reservations for condos a year in advance and rental cars are even now could be hard to reserve. The restrictions on how many people can be in whatever size unit are enforced....I also doubt any one bedroom condos permit a 5 person occupancy so do check on that. Did you look into Sunshine Suites? If they have availability that is a very good alternative.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?

If you can get a condo on the beach for the same price then DEFINITELY do that over the Comfort Suites. It is so nice to be beachfront. And with 3 boys, having a full kitchen saves you not only money on eating out but also time.

Reply to: Cayman lodging on a budget. Comfort Suites or 1BR Condo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted