We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calico Jacks closing

New Hope...
Level Contributor
775 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Calico Jacks closing

Calico Jacks is closing on SMB. It is moving to Barkers Beach in West Bay.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 08:04
9 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calico Jacks closing

Already been around longer than we expected. It won’t seem the same without it.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Calico Jacks closing

I first met the owner in 1971 at my parents' home in Illinois. He still introduces me as his sister.

3. Re: Calico Jacks closing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 August 2018, 15:08

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calico Jacks closing

Not until 2020...

https:/…

Edited: 03 August 2018, 18:28
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calico Jacks closing

What’s the sargassum situation?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calico Jacks closing

I think that moving the location probably makes a ton of sense, especially if he can develop a place that is a viable destination for cruise visitors. With the end of both Hemingways and Royal Palms in sight, the options for them were becoming really, really limited. Public Beach is fine, but without some sort of facilities there it is only of limited interest to them. The Kimpton's/Dart's plans that I have heard of don't really allow for the more casual cruise visitor to have a place to have a "beach day".

Cruise visitors want a place that is basically a hotel without the rooms. They want beach, a pool, restaurant, bar, loungers, chairs, showers and toilets. If the owner can create that in a nice way then he will do very, very well.

I am very curious to see where on Barkers they are going to put that.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calico Jacks closing

There are some interesting places lined up to be developed. I am totally amazed about the location of the new Hyatt property and even more so the development at Beach Bay. I am guessing that Beach Bay will have to be very resortish with pools etc., as the beach is not anything really special. Hopefully they will not be allowed to "fix" it to make it more human friendly and less marine life friendly :( Doing a beach clean-up there tomorrow morning so will have a chance to really see it :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calico Jacks closing

We looked at Beach Bay about 10 years ago when a developer was *pre-selling* condos there. We walked down to the beach.....just didn’t get it. And of course that project never got off the ground. I agree that if someone comes in & creates a *resort*, it will work. It’s not where I would want to be, but there’s a lid for every pot.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calico Jacks closing

Touche, Smushie! LOL

Reply to: Calico Jacks closing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted