We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental insurance

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental insurance

My husband and I will be on the island beginning next Wednesday for a week, staying at Myett's. We've been planning to rent a vehicle, and it was recommended that we use Dede's. I've been scouring the forums for people's experiences with adding the insurance coverage, but there is not much to find. There is the cheaper option for about $9 but with a $1500 deductible, and there's also the $20 a day option for full coverage. That is on top of what I think will be $470 plus the 8% tax. What is your experience with this - is it worth it to get the more expensive coverage? Any guidance and feedback is greatly appreciated!

6 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
6,776 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental insurance

When I rented a car on VG all insurances were included and I have an umbrella policy so I did not buy any extra. Some credit cards provide insurance for international destinations. You should check that. When we were in CGB we rented from Del and I don't think we bought any extra insurance. When our car would not start at the Sugar Mill after dinner one night, he came and gave us his jeep unitl he could get us a new one.

Del's Jeep & Car Rentals, Cane Garden Bay, Tortola Tel. (284) 495-9356 | Web N/A

Mentioned in this post
The Sugar Mill Restaurant
The Sugar Mill Restaurant
648 Reviews
Tortola
Cane Garden Bay
Cane Garden Bay
955 Reviews
Tortola
Pikeville, Kentucky
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental insurance

We rented from Dede's during a visit to CGB in May and had a great experience with them! We opted for the full coverage kind of just in case something catastrophic happened. Dede's left our jeep at the RT ferry for us (I'm sure they do the same at WE) and we dropped off on a Saturday at the WE. We had no idea how crazy the ferry would be on Saturday! When we arrived at WE ferry, there were people and cars everywhere. We drove right to the dock looking for a place to park (and I'm sure looking like idiots to the locals). Pretty soon one of the workers walked up to us and said something like you're with Dede's just leave it here. By the time we got out, a Dede's rep had come over and took the jeep. Funny thing is that the fuel light had come on and I bet the tank was about bone dry. I sure hope he made it to wherever he needed to take it. BTW, they didn't charge us extra for the empty tank.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental insurance

US insurance nor credit card companies offer liability insurance, which is the problem. Most everything else seems to be covered. It looks like the only way to have liability coverage is by purchasing it with the rental.

Edited: 22 July 2017, 00:20
Boston
Level Contributor
6,776 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental insurance

That is true but I am not sure they will sell that one only. Also, you are in the BVI, not USVI. They are not as litigious there.

Edited: 22 July 2017, 00:32
Mentioned in this post
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental insurance

<<...- is it worth it to get the more expensive coverage? ...>>

Like all insurance it becomes "worth it" if you have a serious accident and NEED IT.

FYI- Most credit card companies offer free "collision" insurance if you use that cc to pay for the car rental and there's a possibility your personal insurance policy might also extend collision insurance to rental cars in a foreign country. You should check directly with your cc and/or insurance company to verify if coverage is offered. No cc company or insurance company will give you "free" liability coverage.

Bottom line - weigh your risk tolerance for paying a large claim out of your own pocket against the added cost for "full coverage" from the car rental company and decide if it will be "worth it" FOR YOU.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental insurance

I am not looking for liability coverage only, but that is what is not covered by outside parties. We have USAA and they will not cover us outside of the US. If we choose to rent a car we can either use a credit card and its included coverage (with no liability), or we can get partial or full coverage added with the rental in BVI. If you use your credit card's coverage you have to fully decline the local coverage. Liability is not covered because they cannot dictate the laws outside of their jurisdiction in another country.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Car rental insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted