We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving

Carbondale, Il
Level Contributor
180 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
driving

I have been to st martin a couple of times before and rented a car both times, I am returning in july this year and am getting concerned about driving this year. I will be staying on Orient Beach and will drive to Grand Case a few nights to eat and a few other misc. trips. I will be drinking during the day until say 3 or 4pm and then driving to grand case around 7pm. I have heard that the french side is strict on drinking and driving laws. Does anyone know the actual law?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving

Don't drink & drive...very simple....

Carbondale, Il
Level Contributor
180 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving

that doesn't help Bob........If you Drink 3 beers between12 and 3 and drive at 7pm because alcohol is maetabolized by zero order kinetics at 1 beer per hour your blood alcohol lever level should zero. I really need the law to be albe to decide what drinking and driving is

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving

Let me get this straight - you are going to test your blood alcohol level after you leave the beach bar and before entering your vehicle? Good luck !

www.rupissed.com/blood_alcohol_limits.html

Edited: 15 June 2010, 19:35
Carbondale, Il
Level Contributor
180 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving

So bob,I guess that you either never drink or never drive while on the island. I actually drink very little and am concerned enough to want to know the law and to be able to provide a margin of safty regards to their limit.

thank you for providing me with the information

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving

The one sure safe way is not to drink and drive....I have to wonder why you asked, you could have found this information in just the same wayIi found it and kept your personal matters - personal....hope you have a safe and enjoyable vacation.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 20:38
Carbondale, Il
Level Contributor
180 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving

the problem here is what is drinking an d driving??? If you have a beer at 10am and drive at 7pm is that drinking and driving?? if you drink on tuesday and drive thursday is that drinking and driving??? the law defines what drinkind and driving is and that is why I wanted to know what the law was.

Masshole
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving

Bobcat said: "Let me get this straight - you are going to test your blood alcohol level after you leave the beach bar and before entering your vehicle? Good luck ! "

Get off your high horse Bob.

The man asked a legitimate question.

Nobody wants to get busted for DUI, but a lot more people drive after a few drinks, than will ever admit it on this board. There are very few who haven't done it at one time or another.

Edited: 16 June 2010, 01:37
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving

Blu - Yes, and he got a legitimate answer....

Pittsburgh...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: driving

buckb2001

I checked a web site and discovered the legal limit in SXM is .050% In the US the legal limit is .080% You stated you will be drinking however you did no indicate what you would be drinking. Legally this is what a drink is: one 12 oz beer or one 7 oz glass of wine or one 1.5 oz oshot f 80 proof spirits. The avg person can process about one drink per 40 minutes. A drink usually equates to about .015% to .020% in the avg sized person. Some mixed cocktails are actually several drinks, such as, ice tea ( 3-4) flaming rainbow (5). Remember when you leave the US you also leave the US rules of criminal procedure. Have a safe vacation. My wife and I will be there the last week of June and the first week of July. I'm only bringing enough bail money for my wife.

Masshole
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: driving

I've seen this discussed in generalities on several occasions, but never any specifics. Does anyone personally know an American tourist who was arrested for DUI in St Martin, and what were the consequences?

People have said that the French laws are tough, but what penalties would someone face for a simple DUI with no accident involved? Would they face a large fine, or would they be looking at six months on Guadeloupe?

And please.........nobody give me the "holier than thou" answer. I don't drink to excess, and I've never been arrested for anything. I do enjoy driving over to the dutch side for dinner, and I sometimes stay for a few beers after .........just like most of you.

Edited: 17 June 2010, 17:46
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin