We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Vieques March 2012

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Vieques March 2012

Hi great stuff here. We are excited about our upcoming trip to this great island. We will be there for a little less than a week and renting a house. A few questions:

1 - We would like to travel one day to Old San Juan and the rain forest, is that doable/advisable in a single day?

2 - Any "don't miss" local eating establishments? I am excited about trying mofongo and other PR especiales.

3 - Any places to avoid?

4 - Hidden gems?

5 - On another Caribean island we took a trip to a deserted island for the day to shell, snork and hang out. Anything like that around?

thanks in advance

Jason

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Vieques March 2012

1. I would not advise it. Do one or the other. OSJ is large and you can spend several days exploring it.

2. A lot of people are going to "Raices", however it's getting mixed reviews. I'd rather go to Bebo's for PR food. It's cheaper and that is where the locals go.

3. OSJ is generally safe at night, just avoid La Perla. Condado is also. I recommend taking a taxi at night to destinations you have selected in advance. Avoid just walking around and exploring at night.

4. If you go to the rain forest, I recommend you do the bio-bay at night.

5. Culebra Island has the best beaches in PR. Vieques is 2nd. Aquafari will take you kayaking to the uninhabited off-shore cays for snorkeling, exploring. It is worth the visit.

I hope this is helpful. Happy planning.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Vieques March 2012

The rain forest could also be done on your way over or back depending on flight times to and from SJU. Either a one way rental car from Avis from Ceiba to San Juan or Vice versa or hiring a transportation service might allow you a few hours in the rain forest which is enough time to hike one of the shorter trails and get a feel for it.

Alternatively you could do a few hours in Old San Juan if you fly from or to from Vieques via Isla Grande airport which is very close to Old San Juan. there are a couple of restaurants there that allow you to store your bags while you wonder. Trying to do both in a day trip though possible would be stressfull. those of us who live here know that because of traffic we need to leave San Juan by 2:30 or earlier to get back for the 5:30 flights or the 4:30 ferry from the East coast of PR.There is a Ferry that leaves Fajardo at 8 pm which certainly gives you more time but the car rental offices close at 5 which kind of defeats the purpose.if you did the one way rentals.( and we just no longer trust the ferries to atually be running regularly)

Now if money were no object you could fly from Vieques to Ceiba early in the morning and have a car service take you to the rain forest for a few hours and then drop you in Old San Juan to spend another few hours and then taxi over to Isla Grande Airport for the 5 pm flight.

So the answer is yes it can be done but requires coordination.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Vieques March 2012

1 - If you just want a just a flavor of both, you could do them both in one day - but given that you have to bookend your trip with stops on the main island, I would split the two up and bookend your trip with them. Stop at El Yunque on your way to Vieques and spend some time in OSJ on your way home. We did both on our first trip to PR, and are glad we did. On our more recent trips, we look to maximize our time on Vieques and visit nothing but the airport on the main island.

5 - Nearly any beach on Vieques will give you a similar experience. I'm sure there are some cays you can boat to, but why when there are so many beautiful beaches right on Vieques with so few people.

thanks in advance

Jason

4. Re: First trip to Vieques March 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 14:55