We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

I have heard it pronounced "B"ieques. Is this the way it's pronounced locally?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

"But, the locals here are notorious for dropping the S off EVERYTHING."

Gracia'

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

Hey Guys

About the v/b sound....When I went to a bank in Isabela Segunda to change a hundred dollar bill to "cinco veintes"....I pronounced veinte as beinte, like I learned in Spanish class. The teller looked a me funny, so I explained in English. He told me no, the V is pronounced as V, not a B. Oh well, I was trying to practice Spanish as much as possible. So, what do you think? Was he messing with my head or what?

Martha

PR
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

the drop of the S comes to us from Andalucia & the canary islands in spain. People in some parts of Venezuela and Cuba also do this.

PR
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

the V is pronounced more in the back of the mouth and the B is more frontal. practice with Burro and Vaca.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

'b' ieques is correct. when a 'v' is at the beginning of a word, followed be a vowel, it has a hard 'b' sound. exactly the same as the 'b' in 'b'eso.

with 'cinco veintes', however, the 'v' is falling between two vowels, the 'o' from cinco and the 'e' in veintes. when a 'v' falls between vowels, it takes a softer v sound.

Vieques PR
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

Ahhh.......Who cares?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

lol

well when you are learning to talk back in Pre-K and all you learn the V is V and B is B... but when i remember when i got to 12th grade i was told that in spanish the V and the B are the same sound and that in PR people dont know that probably because there is so much english around...

but any way you want is good, i think anyone would understand if you say vaca or baca.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

your all a great group here. im learning to pronounce the place i want to go already:) i thought it was vi q's. oh boy!!!!

so its more like a b as in bumblebee? lol:) then que like in the basic q?

Chapel HIll, NC
9 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

I enjoy phonetics, and I've taken 'fonetica' classes before. I thought I would add something.

V's are always pronounced like B's... it's just that B actually has two sounds. Which once you use is actually dictated by where it comes in speech. Let me try to explain.

The B sound English speakers make is always made by closing our lips completely each time. Say 'baby.' You should notice that each B is pronounced by our lips stopping the flow of air.

In Spanish we use that sound, but there's also one more... the B sound that is made between vowels.

Hispanohablantes, say 'bebe'. With the first B, you close should notice that you close your lips completely. The second B you should not.

You can also see the same difference with V's sounding like B's if you compare 'vaca' vs. 'la vaca' since the latter has a vowel preceeding it.

Anyway, I hope this makes sense.

-marquitos.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How do YOU pronounce Vieques?

Well, gee thanks guys, I'll be able to practice in person when we get there TOMORROW! Yippee!

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations