We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Travel from VQS

Lynchburg, Virginia
2 posts
2 reviews
Air Travel from VQS

My adult daughter and I will be spending a week on Vieques in March and returning to SJU on Friday for our return flight home departing ~3:30 pm. Flying directly to SJU will be more expensive, but if this allows us to take a later flight from VQS, puts us beyond security in SJU, and eliminates the taxi transfer, that would be well worth it. Will flying from VQS to SJU allow us to bypass SJU security? Are the VAL flights from VQS reliable enough for me to count on using the 1:30 flight for my 3:30 flight back to the mainland? Thanks for any advice/experience you can offer.

4 replies to this topic
Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Air Travel from VQS

You will have to go through security no matter which airport you fly into. VAL has a very good on time record from my experience (have been flying into Isla Grande a lot for doctor visits). Only weather can cause a delay and in March it should not be an issue. Security at SJU has never taken me longer than an hour so you should be alright. But take an earlier flight if possible. There will be more flights added by VAL during peak season I am assuming. Right now they have cut service some as it is the slow season.

Edited: 25 September 2018, 09:19
Lynchburg, Virginia
2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Air Travel from VQS

Thank you for the guidance. We'll do just as you suggest and fly back into SIG taking an earlier flight.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Air Travel from VQS

good decision

St. Louis
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Air Travel from VQS

Sometimes the taxis aren't around at Isla Grande to get to the International airport, so if you are cutting your time close, call ahead with your arrival time. My understanding Uber is not allowed on the property, so you have to go outside the gates if you want to use the service.

Reply to: Air Travel from VQS
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations