We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water safe to drink?

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Water safe to drink?

I’ve found a lot of pre-hurricane posts that say the water is safe to drink on Vieques. Is it safe now?

4 replies to this topic
Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Water safe to drink?

Water is safe, but just doesn't taste good.We have the same EPA regulation as in the Main Land.I use regular water only to cook and make Ice Tea

Edited: 06 August 2018, 23:35
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Water safe to drink?

I think Bunny's expertise is with mainland issues.

the water on Vieques is safe.

it was before the hurricanes. it is now.

there is no foreign bacteria in Puerto Rico, as in Mexico or other countries.

Puerto Rico is part of the USA and must adhere to the guidelines of government agencies such as the FCC, FAA and FDA.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Water safe to drink?

Frankipoo, I don't understand? I said it's safe. I just don't like the taste, so I use filtered water to drink and faucet water to mix for Ice Tea and cooking

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Water safe to drink?

sorry Bunny, I thought you were talking about mainland PR water not specifically the water on Vieques.

there was a period on Vieques where you could not drink the water from the faucet while on mainland PR the water was fine.

there were issues with lubricant and grease from the pumps polluting the water plus another couple of issues. those issues are resolved now however and the water is consistently available and potable.

Reply to: Water safe to drink?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted