We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary thoughts- 5 day, 4 nights- input please!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
51 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary thoughts- 5 day, 4 nights- input please!

I am working out my itinerary, but as a first timer, need to know what might work best. My goals for the trip are to practice and dance some salsa, listen to live salsa music, absorb lots of Spanish- American history, and do a dive or some snorkeling. I am a solo traveller, and will not have a car ( if at all possible!). Don't think I can squeeze in El Yunque- I'll be back!

Option 1:

WED Arrive SJU 12:30, head to Old SJ. Hotel in town. Visit El Morro, and or other site- may do a walking tour. Do a late dinner, find a salsa lesson, then stay for music and dancing.

THURS Sleep in, explore more of OSJ! More music and dancing!

FRI Early flight to Culebra, a day on the beach plus snorkeling.

SAT Dive early, beach and hang out in town.

SUN Morning beach time, flight back to Isla Grande (arrives 4 pm)

Flight home leaves at 6 pm.

I could also do this itinerary in reverse...The beach should be less crowded during the week, and night life in OSJ is probably bettter on the weekend. I could also take the ferry leaving Culebra, but then have to get from Fajardo to OSJ somehow.

OR just do some day trips from OSJ- to El Yunque, and to Fajardo to do an East Island snorkel trip.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary thoughts- 5 day, 4 nights- input please!

I would keep this itinerary as you have it - first OSJ then Culebra. Since you are solo, then I agree flying is better.

Neuyorican cafe in OSJ has a salsa band on wednesdays. Not sure where else you can go for salsa. Someone there could give you informal lessons, as there is a popular dance class that meets there to practice. Just be aware that PR is not like you might imagine - salsa dance halls are not prominent. They might be playing salsa in the bars, but people are not dancing.

There is always La Placita in Santurce, a popular area in SJ with lots of bars and impromptu salsa bands playing in the street. However, I would not advise a woman traveling solo to go there unaccompanied. Not that it is unsafe, but it would not be the smartest thing to do.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
51 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary thoughts- 5 day, 4 nights- input please!

Thanks for the input. I know that SJ is now more about reggaeton, but I thought I'd at least check out the salsa, as I am a little above the age of the reggaetoneros :) And I can always to go a "regular"club, too.

I will try to find a group to go to La Placita- that name keeps popping up in my searches on salsa.

3. Re: Itinerary thoughts- 5 day, 4 nights- input please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:47