We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo trip

R J
Level Contributor
136 posts
Solo trip

Hi everyone... I’ll be in San Juan a few days before and after a cruise. Hoping for some advice.

1. If I stay in Condado or La Isla, can I get excursions to the rainforest, biobay etc that include transportation, or would I need a car? Is there a recommendation for a biobay tour, not kayak?

2. Is taxi best/cheapest way from airport?

3. Can anyone recommend a good Culebra trip? (I am 44 and see a lot of catamaran trips that seem aimed at 20s. I read about a ferry but also that it may not be anymore?

Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Solo trip

there are tour companies that will pick up at the hotels. Look at the tourist magazine .for ideas. quepasa.pr.

Taxi is the only way to get to your hotel from the airport.

Snorkelling trips to Culebra have all kinds of folks. I'm in my 60's and have done it several times.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Solo trip

I am staying in Condado and I think it's a great spot. Quick Uber to Old San Juan or Isla Verde and almost all the excursions pick up at the hotels.

I just did the East Islands Culebra trip yesterday and at 46 I was on the older end but there were also a few older than me. I think the Culebra trip vs just the go sit at a random island trip, seems to attract more adults and fewer 20-somethings just looking to drink. There were a few pairs of 20-somethings but also a family so it was a good balance. I would recommend it for sure. I also was traveling solo and people were friendly and it was a great time.

I'm not sure if it's the "best" option but I took a taxi from the airport and it was super easy. They ask where you're going and you get the price before you even get in the taxi.

R J
Level Contributor
136 posts
3. Re: Solo trip

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!

Reply to: Solo trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted