We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

Virginia
Level Contributor
883 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

Has anyone who is booked at BRB after May 31 been officially notified by Jewel, SuperClubs, or their TA about what their options are going to be?

I am concerned because we booked BRB (would our 4th time there) seeking these things:

1) Free Included Greens Fees across the street and the 18 hole golf course. (This appears to be included at Jewel we think, but golf is not included at the other Jewel Resort so I guess we need to see how it reads in print.)

2) Daily included Scuba Diving trips (I am PADI certified)

3) Daily included Snorkeling trips off-site

4) An environment where people are not tipping but that the staff is farily compensated in a way that makes them not have to rely on tips. (SC includes tips in the package price that are paid to the staff based on occupancy. I realize it is my choice not to tip even where tipping is allowed, but the SC model is far more comfortable for me than having everyone around me tipping. This is why Couples and Sandals do it this way as well. In Mexico it got tough to get a drink sometimes because people were walking up to the bar flashing tip money an the bartenders and those who did not have a tip in hand waited a LONG time for drinks. We avoid that environment on vacation.)

5) Waterskiing, glass-bottom boat, etc...

6) All guests 18 and over (as BRB was when we booked)

Here is my concern.... I have no doubt that Jewel will be a nice resort. In fact the way SC has been in its 'death throes' recently it may well be an improvement. However we paid for our vacation under the understanding that we would be getting 1-6 above for our cost, plus a Red Stripe and a clean bathroom in the SC Lounge before heading to the resort. Are we going to be told that they are just going to transfer our stay from BRB to Jewel Runaway Bay?

Because if so.... at the same cost ... I would expect 1-6 above for my $ once I got there. Otherwise it would be like going to BRB and finding they had stopped scuba, and all other included motorized waterports ,.. but at the same price. I will be keenly interested to see how the inclusion at Jewel compare to what we paid to get at BRB.

Here is the real point I am trying to make.... I don't expect Jewel to have all the same amenities as BRB, but if they do not then my price should be less than I paid because otherwise I will be in the same room at the same resort... just with less value for my money.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

You make an excellent point. The Jewel in comparison to Breezes offers FAR less inclusions. One of the things that has prevented me from considering The Jewel is the lack of inclusions, I like to pay one price upfront and not worry about additional costs.

I completely agree that once the Jewel takes over BRB, for those who booked expecting all the inclusions provided by Breezes should receive those " extras" during their visit. Even if the Jewel will not provide them to guests who book under the new management.

If they do decide to charge the extras like they do at their other resort, I personally would see if Breezes would transfer you FREE of charge to BGN.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 01:58
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

Hopefully your travel agent will be able to get all the answers for you.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

Seems like a transfer to BGN at no additional cost might be a good option?

Virginia
Level Contributor
883 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

I would have to check, but I don't think BGN includes greens fees at Negril Hills. BRB was the only free golf Breezes resort in Jamaica. Changing to BGN would address most of the rest of it though. Thanks!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

I am of the same opinion regarding the free golf especially. We had booked for some "free" night's at BRB for Feb. of next year. We had gotten married there and had a "certificate" for the free night's. I booked "those" night's a couple of week's ago and was prepared to add more night's to that when the "early booking" deal came out.

Now of course I'm not even sure if new ownership will honor my current reservation. I hope they will, but if they eliminate the "free green's fee's" we would most likely not add more night's.

Wait and see I guess.

I have emailed to jewel resort's with some of these question's, but haven't received a reply as yet.

And no, BGN doesn't offer green's fee's anymore.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 03:30
wisconsin
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

I should mention.

I had messaged "Rasbrat" with some of my question's earlier today. He was good enough to respond even though there are many thing's yet to be decided about the property I'm sure.

Given how quickly he was able to get back to me is a good sign in my opinion and hopefully all will go well. Realistically he didn't have much information at this point, but I think that is understandable. I think as more information is available he will be very helpful and informative for those of us with question's.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

thank you mike,

As I said before as soon as things are sorted out we will certainly get the information out there.

Scott from the Jewel.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

I'm just wondering if the price is gonna skyrocket!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
77 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

Thank you Scott from the Jewel.

As a return guest of BRB I feel much better knowing our Home Away from Home is back with their former owners. As we were married their in 1999 and have returned for our anniversary every year since.

We've seen many changes over the years. Some good, some not so good! But it is the staff and friends we've met that keep us retrurning. And of course the gorgeous beach!

I'll be seeing you in July.

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changes from Breezes Runaway Bay to Jewel Runaway Bay

Scott was kind enough to get back to me today because we have booked my daughter's wedding for next March. We are just hoping all goes well for the wedding planning and the guys will still be enjoying there golf while there.