We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Mississippi
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Okay, I read in "Walk Good", the Negril book, about a big, beast of a bug called "forty legs". Pray tell, what is this? The author mentioned something about it being a potentially fatal bite if not treated? Gulp. In his bathroom in Negril, it lived through 3 swipes of a size 13 sandal. And he was on the cliffs, where we'll be. Ooohhhhh....

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,684 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Like a centipede. I think i saw a dead one once, in 15 trips to JA.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Hi elvisrox,

LOL! Boy have you made me laugh, I can hardly type lol, lol lol!

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

I believe this is what you're looking for:

…oregonstate.edu/bugzoo/critters/jamaican_ce…

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Hopefully you won't see the palmetto bug (aka GIANt flying cockroach). Their body is 8" long plus antennae. I've seen them twice on the west end (IN THE ROOM) LOL!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

sorry elvisrox, couldn't help it. LOL

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Blues_Pirate,

Never, mind anyone else you got me screaming and it aint because I'm laughing!!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Ahhh the tropics :-)

No worries, chances of seeing one are slim to none, specially on the beach. That's twice in the same room on one trip of 20.

My apologies if I offended anyone. Just having a little fun.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
13,978 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Forty-Legger...a centipede, can grow to be larger than one foot long. They move fast and they are agressive, often biting it's victim more than once. The larger the beast the more venomous the bite but the baby's bite are fierce in and of themselves.

The bites are painful and cause a severe reacation. If you are to get bit by one, run, don't walk to the nearest small Jamaican owned bar to get "the cure". The cure is simple...a forty-legger, preferably a live one, is put in a bottle of overproof rum where it immediately discharges it's venom. This solution is applied directly to the bite and the effects calm down soon after.

In twenty-three years I have seen dead ones in their bottle of rum but last year saw a live one at Mi Yard. The thing was about 7" long and was moving rapidly along the ground when my girlfriend approached and screaming "kill it!" drops a boulder on it.

It was still alive, squirming under the boulder. Another friend scooped up a partially filled bottle of white rum from Pearl and got the thing in there. My friend now has a nice potent bottle of cure.

Forty Leggers live in rocks, which is why they are more common on the cliffs than on the beach.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

Wow forty leg!! I haven't seen one of those buggers in a long while. Your chances of seeing one is very slim. I wouldn't worry too much but so far you have gotten excellent advise on what to do if you get stung by one.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh Lord, what is a "forty legs"????

well I will be staying at the cliffs, so will keep an eye out and avoid them and hope they will avoid me, lol!

Thanks for letting me know about them so I can be sure to keep my distance!