We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks in Negril

USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Sharks in Negril

Does anyone know if Sharks inhabit the coastal waters off of Negril ? If there are Sharks, what kind ? If there are no sharks are there any other potentially dangerous creatures lurking in the waters ? i.e. Jellyfish, Barracuda, Giant Squid.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks in Negril

heartland from the other post I've read sharks none because of the coral reefs, last on was in 1930's or so ago thank god! Too hard for them to get in I think they posted? But good question I forgot about those other creatures! Wonder if you water shoe to go in the ocean so nothing bites your feet ect.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks in Negril

Sorry about the writing always in a rush! Was wondering if water shoes are needed to walk into the waters down there?

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks in Negril

If it's a ocean there are sharks, your chances of dying in a plane crash on the way to Jamaica are much greater than getting attacked by a shark. Sharks are everywhere. There are only a few varities that will attack. Your chances are so slim of being attacked by aa shark , you have a better chance of hitting the lottery. It's their ocean. In Hawaii they are respected as the messengers of the gods.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks in Negril

Hey HeartlandSand: I have never heard of any shark attacks in JA/Negril, etc. The only thing that is in the waters in Negril that have given people a problem are Sting Rays (those flat things with a long tail that hits you if you step on them). In the old days, when Bloody Bay was not built up, you could walk in the warm water and you had to drag your feet along the sand, then they would get out of your way and not hit you (only if your foot hit them). That is the only thing that I know that was of some risk. On the 7 mile beach, you can see them only a few times, since they do not like that many people in the water. Go have a nice time and stop being concerned.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks in Negril

Heartlandsand,

If you enter shark in 'search' at the top of this page you will find many posts on the subject. I have a few posts in some of the threads.

Bottom line, there isn't a shark problem in Negril.

No worries.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks in Negril

I have never seen a shark close to the shore anywhere in Jamaica. You would have to venture a great distance beyond the reef to encounter any. Barracudas are more common but I have never heard of someone being attacked by any barracuda school. Jellyfish and sting rays are also found in some areas but once again a very minimal chance of encountering them especially in large public beaches. Some tiny jellyfish usually migrate close to the North Coast this time of the year April/May but they are so tiny that an encounter usually means nothing more than a mild rash.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks in Negril

The only problem you might encounter is sea urchins. If you wade in an area where there is a weedy bottom, I'd suggest water shoes.

The water is so clear that you can see bottom in deep water.

My wife stepped on an urchin in Feb, had the spines removed, but is still bothered by tiny pieces that are just now working their way to the surface.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks in Negril

I've never seen a shark there but I'm sure there are rare occurences. Now I have been snorkeling with some friends and had a barracuda come pretty near. I just got back on the boat but some people stayed out there and they were fine. Sometimes I see a lot of rays too.