We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to buy tropical fruits

Level Contributor
110 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Places to buy tropical fruits

Me and my wife will be in Negril soon for a week. Is any place in where I can buy tropical fruits (sugar apples, mangoes, etc) other than the typical grocery stores? I will stay at Chabellas Inn.

Thanks,

Varadero35

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
8 replies to this topic
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to buy tropical fruits

The fruit lady on the beach has delicious fruit.

Smithtown, New York
Level Contributor
642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to buy tropical fruits

Several fruit vendors on the beach, and even one who sells fresh juice. Last time I was there a lady had a small stand in front of Idle Awhile Villas, Utah her prices were high, fruit crappy and her attitude even worse. A poor combination if you’re trying to make a sale

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to buy tropical fruits

If you're staying at charella's the fruit lady that carries her fruit in a basket on top of her head will be working the area every day

san antonio
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to buy tropical fruits

Which vendor at IA Villas did you have an issue with? If you're facing the villas, the one with a permanent stand on the left side of the property has been reliable for many years. She'll give you good deals on overripe bananas to make blender drinks with.

Smithtown, New York
Level Contributor
642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to buy tropical fruits

It was an older woman. When I tried to pick up a mango she got very upset. I told her I was interested in buying it, and she said then you can touch it after you pay for it. After that I deal with the guy, forget his name, who brings it right to my lounge, and even cuts it for me. He also takes requests for what we would like the next day.

san antonio
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to buy tropical fruits

Yeah, she's a little funny about people touching her stuff, I think she even has a sign telling you not to. She can be very nice once you get to know her though.

Smithtown, New York
Level Contributor
642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to buy tropical fruits

I guess we just got off on the wrong foot. As for buying something, I like to check it out before I commit.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to buy tropical fruits

Save a little money, take a little walk - downtown Negril just up the lane from Yellow Computer there is a small fruit/veg market "farmers market style". The ladies there are lovely and always carry everything in season. Aside from the yummy fresh produce, its a little bit of a colorful adventure.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Reply to: Places to buy tropical fruits
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted