We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset at the Palms Stay Next Week

1 post
Save Topic
Sunset at the Palms Stay Next Week

Hello! My fiance and I are getting married Saturday and we are leaving Maryland for Jamaica on Monday morning (6/11). We are staying a 5-day all inclusive stay at Sunset at the Palms. I've been to Jamaica before on mission trip with my church in 2006 and stayed in Ocho Rios. I've never stayed in Negril. I was wondering what tips you could share to make our stay comfortable and exciting. I want to go snorkeling and swim with the dolphins. We also want to do a rum tour. Please share any and all tips and recommendations you have. Thanks in advance! :-)

Edited: 07 June 2018, 19:56
5 replies to this topic
Smithtown, New York
Level Contributor
656 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset at the Palms Stay Next Week

Negril has swim with the dolphins a short taxi ride away. I personally don’t agree with it as they keep the dolphins captive for their own benefit. But I don’t blame you for wanting to do it. They’re beautiful and intelligent animals.

You can do an Appleton Estate tour. I hear they just renovated. My version of a rum tour is walking down the beach stopping at as may bars for a shot of rum as possible. Check out the One Love Bus bar crawl and the catamaran cruise. Both a great time.

Congratulations to both of you on your wedding!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
12,913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset at the Palms Stay Next Week

Negril has two beaches that are not connected; together they offer some 7 miles of sand (sort of). The SATP is located on Bloody Bay, the shorter (and quieter) of the two with 2 miles of sand. It is dominated by 7 all inclusive resorts and has only one non-resort owned beach pub.

The longer beach (some 5 miles) is called Long Bay (cleaver). The southern 2 miles is the very busy section as it is filled with dozens of local eateries, pubs, bars, shopping, massage huts, watersports (parasailing, for example), beach concerts; this is a must-visit venue — suggest starting at Skylark resort then turn left facing the Sea. From SATP, you would probably want to take a taxi to it; it is walkable, but hot day time temps may make that walk uncomfortable.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset at the Palms Stay Next Week

Congrats!

Book zimbali retreats a farm to table dinner experience in the Hills at night they have drummers and live performers.

Do an Excursion to YS Falls then Appleton rum factory tour and you can combine Pelican bar/Black River. Pelican bar is a bar restaurant on a sand barge in the middle of the sea.

If you just do the falls and the rum tour on the way back you can stop at Peter Tosh's Garden in Belmont and beautiful Bluefield Beach.

The Blue Hole is a fun quick Excursion or you can make a couple hours of it it's a spring hole in the Hills you could jump in or climbin and swim, they also have a spring pump pool bar restaurant hammocks nice vibe in the Hills. After, 5 minutes down the hill is a quaint fishing Village Little Bay with friendly people & roaming goats and you may enjoy spending some time walking around talking with people, seeing the fisherman. Very different vibe from Ochi and Negril.

Enjoy!

PEACE!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset at the Palms Stay Next Week

Very possible that if you do the Pelican bar tour you will see dolphins in the Wild on the way

PEACE!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset at the Palms Stay Next Week

Look for September (the captain of the Sea Rasta) by the watersports area. He can take you snorkeling, he's a great guy.

Reply to: Sunset at the Palms Stay Next Week
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted