We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I can see why you would come back year after year.

Yankton, SD
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
I can see why you would come back year after year.

I've been to several All-Inclusives in Mexico - both coasts. I've also been to Punta Cana (Bavaro Beach) but this was my first trip to Jamaica (Negril). I can't imagine wanting to go anywhere else.

We stayed at Sandy Haven. We loved the hotel. There were some things that could be improved upon but overall we had a great time. The staff, the room, the location - it was all good.

We ate at Chances, Sunbeach Bar, Marley's by the Sea, Le Vendome, Best of the West, Alfreds, Ivan's, Café Goa. We were all over but I'm sure we didn't even touch the surface which is why we will be back sooner than later.

What a great place to vacation! Thank you for all your posts/questions/suggestions...I love travel forums as it helps to get to know the area before you actually go.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Bavaro Beach
Bavaro Beach
17,527 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Sandy Haven Resort
Sandy Haven Resort
737 Reviews
Jamaica
Ivan's Bar & Restaurant At Catcha Falling Star Hotel
Ivan's Bar & Restaurant...
2,044 Reviews
Jamaica
Zimbali's Mountain Cooking Studio
₹₹₹₹, Caribbean, Jamaican, International
Blue Mahoe Restaurant
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Caribbean, Seafood, Jamaican
46 replies to this topic
21. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2017, 23:27

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

Jamaica is not the DR.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
North Lewisburg...
Level Contributor
950 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

It is nice Jamaica has both AI and the small boutique hotels to offer. we did an AI once . it was great , I kinda felt like it was comparable to a cruise. Everything was there for you, very relaxing. We have since moved on to Negril and made friends here. This yr we went out to Roaring River. We spent the day with a friend and his wife. She cooked for us. It was beautiful out there and so peaceful. Someday I hope to make it to Port Antonio. There is no wrong answer here it is what every floats your boat. We prefer the small places.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
24. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

toronto
Level Contributor
854 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

Coming from Toronto, the AI packages are cheaper but I actually find them more stressful. We have never played "the towel game" to save a chair when staying non-AI, we have never had to line up to eat at an a-la-carte where we may or may not get the time and date we prefer, my husband has never been told to wear pants in 90 degree heat to dinner when we venture out on our own, instead we can make up our plans as we go along and if there is something special we want to do or go to, we'll book it ahead. Many non-AI places include breakfast so you can still have that fresh made breakfast you enjoy an the AI.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Yankton, SD
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

I would agree that our trip to Sandy Haven was probably a wash in terms of what we would have spent on staying at an AI. We stopped at Mega Mart in MoBay on the way. Picked up beer, wine, water and snacks. We ate at hole in the walls, had a nice dinner at Ivan's and La Vendome - ate patties for lunch some days. Had some of the drinks from the bar at Sandy haven - I liked the NON AI vibe...just seemed more relaxed. I didn't have to dress up or make reservations all week and it was so nice. Very relaxed, ate when and where we wanted. If I had stayed at an AI - I would have been reluctant to spend money to eat at Ivan's since we paid so much already. Just my two cents...but had I brought the kids, the AI would've been way cheaper for us since they are picky and like the drink virgin blended drinks. :)

Mentioned in this post
Sandy Haven Resort
Sandy Haven Resort
737 Reviews
Jamaica
Ivan's Bar & Restaurant At Catcha Falling Star Hotel
Ivan's Bar & Restaurant...
2,044 Reviews
Jamaica
27. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

Yankton, SD
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

PuertoPlataPete - we've been to all inclusives...a lot of them and we enjoyed this vacation the most.

29. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

Edited: 19 December 2017, 23:27

30. Re: I can see why you would come back year after year.

Reply to: I can see why you would come back year after year.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;