We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios vs Negril?

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ocho Rios vs Negril?

Hi, Im still looking at options for a Jamaican resort getaway. How does Ochos Rios measure up to Negril? What is the distanse from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios? Is there a town with resteraunts, music and shopping in the area?

Resorts:

Something low key , lush and natural vegetation with beautiful flora and fauna?

Great beach?

NON party resort?

I am looking for something average in budget. 4 star preferrably.

Can you help??

Thank you!

Dreams.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

You might want to look at this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k45038…

if you search that exact topic, you will find a ton of others.

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

ocho rios is a small city where you can walk and negril is a long stripe where you need a bicycle to move around!! negril is far from all the attractions but it has the prettier beaches ifyou want to visit kingston or ocho rios from negril it means hours of driving!! it depends what youare looking for!!SEAFRONTBABY

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

mo bay to ocho rios is an hour and a quarter when driving ... negril to mo bay is about two hours.. Ocho rios is an hour and half from kingston.. it means negril is three hours from ocho rios and four hours from kingston!!!SEAFRONTBABY

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

both ochi and negril are about the same driving time away from Mobay (1.5 hours)... better/worse time can be made in either direction depending on traffic conditions and the wrecklessness of the driver...

while i personally love town, not a lot of visitors base their first time visit on proximity to it...

as for the original question, i hate answering a question with a question, but define 4*? are we talking the canadian tour guide/All inclusive package rating, or a true hotel * rating... the difference is significant $$$, so the easiest way to do this would be to state budget and work from there...

Chelle

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

a eal taste of jamaica cannot be found without a visit to the coronation market!! so i understand chelle that you love town!!nobody can understand jamaica without seeing spanish town or downtown kingston or hellshire!!i spent several years in kingston cause my husband is jamaican and there is nothing i like more than to go walk downtown cause thee is a sort of humanity there that is very real and true!! especially the ghettos!! one had to go to trenchtown to visit the place where bob marley used to live and definitely go to the week end market!! otherwise jamaica may be just another beach in an allinclusive hotel!! SEAFRONTBABY

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

Thanks everyone. What I'm looking for in a resort is a little charm and character. Sunset At The Palms looks lovely to me and is on my "possibilities" list. I love how tropical and lush the grounds are. I have been travelling to the Carribean for years but never to Jamaica so it's a little overwhelming trying to find a resort.

Coming from western Canada, our best options price wise is looking at an air and hotel package, and I don't want to break the bank! :)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dreams.

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

jamaica is not a cheap place tourism is the only thing that government seems to believe in and moreover there is a big debt to pay back to the imf!! for example this island does not know camping i think the tourism tradition from the britanics has always been a luxury one!! the price of gas is increasing everyday and the attractions are quite expensive!! certain locals seem to believe the pocket money of tourists can strecht in an unlimited manner!! good luck!! SEAFRONTBABY

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

Thank you Seafrontbaby but I'm not sure how any of this information directly relates to my original question. Perhaps I will have to do some investigating on my own to find answers to my (simple ) question.

Dreams.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

Sunset at the Palms is a nice, small AI... fits most of your requirements i'd say...

do be aware that rooms and majority of the ammenities are across the road from the beach, they provide crossing guards and beach access is quick and easy, but to some it's a deal breaker...

if that's about your budget range, you might have to cross off couples/sandals, they typically run a good deal more than SATP..

not sure if they are still offering the excellent deal on the Jewel at Dunns River, if so, that might be a good fit and doable for you...

otherwise, maybe check out a breezes property (negril will be quieter but pricier, runaway bay is a bit more active.... rule out trealwny, it's a budget-oriented family resort)...

hope that helps some

Chelle

Edited: 10 June 2011, 20:45
Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril?

Not sure what information you are still waiting on, Dreams, but Sunset at the Palms does seem to fit well (as long are okay with the road split as chelle mentioned. It doesn't bother me at all.).

If Couples is out of range then I am not sure there is anything for you really in Ocho Rios (I would have mentioned Couples Sans Souci). Same likely goes for Jewel Dunn's River.

Perhaps Breezes Runaway Bay would be of interest - but that is 20-30 minutes outside of Ocho Rios and tends to be a little more of a party type place.