We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Vendors

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Vendors

I am booked at the Iberostar Grand for my 25 anniversay this October. I have heard from others that the beach vendors won't leave you alone.

I want to be able to relax on the beach without being harassed. Is this true? will we be consistently bothered to buy something or participate in a tour. I really want to be able to relax.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Iberostar Grand Hotel...
7,152 Reviews
Jamaica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Vendors

i've just skimmed the reviews and not seen that to be a regular complaint...

typically resort property is private to the high water line... some vendors may stay there and try to sell their wares, but usually hotel security discourages that...

i've never had an issue with tour operators, they typically sit at a desk and are there to answer questions/book tours (and give "information seminars at scheduled times)... you are not obliged or hassled...

when you go off property (ie along the beach or whatnot), there will be more pressure from the vendors and whatnot, most will take a polite but firm no thankyou... craft markets are usually have a few vendors aggressive techniques, so be prepared if you choose to venture into them ... . rose hall isn't a hot bed for vendors tho... you will get this much more in the touristy areas of ocho rios (dunns river, craft markets), montego bay and Negril... the rest of the island is a bit more laid back and not as aggressive..

on the beach, on property, you may have the entertainment staff ask you if you want to join in a game of something once in awhile.. usually they ask everyone until they start to know your face... if you don't want them to bother you, set yourself up away from where they set up the nets or whatever... usually they can get enough people in the immediate area and don't venture far for participants... it's doubtful that anyone else will really disturb you...

Enjoy

Chelle

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Vendors

No matter where you stay... here are a couple of things from a womans point of view that you can say when you're asked:

1. "This your first time to Jamaica?" ... answer; "No, I've been coming for a long time."

2. "Where's your husband." ... answer; "Right down the road."

3. "Where you staying?" ... answer; "Just up the hill there."

4. "When did you get here?" ... answer; "A few days ago."

5. "When you leaving?" ... answer; "Tomorrow."

I doubt the Iberostar allows vendors up onto the dry sand beach... I could be wrong though I guess as I haven't been there.

If you walk down a beach from any AI the beach vendors will want you to buy from them...so go prepared with small bills (US or JA) and always just put a few into each pocket so you never have to pull out much money at one time... that way you can always say, "I only have $X. in my pocket."

Haggling can be fun if you go into it knowing that you're about to be higgled & have somewhat of a plan of what you're going to spend & what you want to buy.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Vendors

Good Suggestions. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Vendors

Just got back from the Iberostar Grand on July 6th and am very confused with your question.

What vendors? We were there 10 days and were not bothered by any vendors.

On occasion you will see somebody float by on a "boat" asking if you want to look at their stuff.

We were never even asked! There are NO vendors on the beach at all at or even near the Grand. If you want to buy something from a beach vendor then you can walk down to the IB Beach Resort and there are a few there on the other side of that resort.

You will not be harassed at the Grand by beach vendors at all.

There are no tour operators at the Grand. If you are interested in booking a tour you can walk to the Suites next door and book a tour.

Not sure where you got your info but don't worry its not correct.

Have a great and relaxing vacation at the Grand, its wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Grand Hotel...
7,152 Reviews
Jamaica
Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Vendors

You don't seem confused by the question at all. You answered it clearly.

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Vendors

"Confused" might have been the wrong word, maybe suprised is better word to use.

You will enjoy the Grand, its quiet and very relaxing.

If you want a more "excitement" you can always go next door to the Suites.

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Vendors

We chose Iberostar Grand over Excellence Cancun. It was a hard decision.

I have been told by past travelers to Jamaica that the vendors can be annoying and aggressive. That has kept us away from booking there.

Last year we went to Paradise Island and were constantly approached by vendors who were aggressive and would not take no for an answer. They kept coming back every few minutes. We had to retreat to the pool area. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Grand Hotel...
7,152 Reviews
Jamaica
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Paradise Island
Paradise Island
New Providence Island
Plainwell, Michigan
Level Contributor
854 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Vendors

I, too, can attest that there were NO vendors at the GRAND. We were there for 8 days (6/27-7/4) and NEVER once were we approached BY ANYONE. We were actually quite surprised that IB Grand didn't have vendors brought in (at least one night) because at previous resorts stayed at (Dreams Punta Cana, Sandals Negril, Dreams Cancun to name a few) they ALWAYS had vendors and were PUSHING services. NOT TRUE AT THE GRAND!!!!!!

There are the "boat men" as we called them who sell everything from bracelets, necklaces to ganga from their canoe out on the water. We were NEVER bothered or harassed. IF you wanted something from them then they would notice people COMING TO THEM, wait, and sell.

Unless things change I truly don't think you have ANYTHING to worry about. Security is ALWAYS "shooing" people away if they're NOT staying at the GRAND.

Happy travels!!!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,899 Reviews
Jamaica
Luray VA
Level Contributor
432 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Vendors

I have to agree with the nuisance of vendors at Paradise Island. we went last year and it was so bad on the beach that we only went down there 2 times the whole week. And they were not just selling crafts either, there were alot of guys trying to sell drugs (like the bad ones too, not just ganga) We're going to jamaica in august and i hope it won't be so bad.

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Island
Paradise Island
New Providence Island
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply