We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Cards and Currency

Glens Falls, New...
9 posts
Save Topic
Calling Cards and Currency

What is the best way to call back to the States? I am assuming our cell phones will be extremely expensive... Are calling cards the best option?

Also, where is the best place to exchange currency? We are staying at Sandals RC, is this something that the resort will do?

Appreciate any help.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Cards and Currency

The resort probably exchanges but you won't get a favorable rate. The airport also gives a poor rate. I would suggest using a cambio or bank. There are some cambios along the hip strip just outside the airport. Any taxi could easily take you to one.

The best way to call the states is to rent a phone down there. I think they go for about $5 a day. The cell phones down there require you buy a card to charge them. Most shops sell these cards in $100 and I believe $500 Ja increments. (Roughly 1.40 and 7.00 US). It seems a $100 JA card usually lasts us about 10 minutes or so when calling home. We usually use a family members phone when we're there but I know for sure there are many phone rental places now. It is nice to have a cell on you for calling cabs, friends, etc...

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Cards and Currency

Hi as for calling the states I'm not sure but my ATT did not work there I understand you can as your cell company to extend to coverage for a week then it will work. as for currency I never change any money just take small bills and a credit card drivers always want US dollars if you leave the resort say to eat they all take cards anywaay thats how I do it and it works fine for me have a great time

Powhatan, VA
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Cards and Currency

When are you going? We are staying at SRC in jan. I have verizon and tell them prior to traveling I am going and change my plan to international calling for the time I am gone. U update your phone at the before boarding...

never have had a problem texting or calling w/verizon. u can purchase phone cards and phones at the airport before leaving for your resort.

we don't exchange currency at all. just bring lots of ones, fives for tipping etc. they appreciate american money more than j.

Where are you from?

Deb

EAST HAMPTON...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling Cards and Currency

using your phone from the states will be very expensive, $1.50 to $2.00 a minute for all calls (depending on the phone company) . calling cards bought locally offer cheaper rates but your hotel will charge alot to use their phones. you might wanna think about renting a local cell phone; they offer free incoming calls and rates back to the states are $0.25 a minute. i rented one here in connecticut before for a good rate. it was great i had a number to give to friends before i left. if you want the number just let me know.

5. Re: Calling Cards and Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 13:51