We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Do's / Not Do's

Wyoming
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Must Do's / Not Do's

First timer to Jamaica and Montego Bay. What are some must do"s and what should we stay away from? Traveling with kids 21,18 and 16.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
834 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Do's / Not Do's

Do drink a Hummingbird

Do relax and go with the sloooow jamaican pace it is quite contagious

Do take the guided tours they are wonderful and you get to experience the real jamaica

Do wait til the airport to buy your liquor to take home.

Don't wonder off the resort by yourself with the kids.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Do's / Not Do's

"Don't wonder off the resort by yourself with the kids."

???

I strongly disagree - get off the resort! That's how you'll be able to see, hear and smell the "real" Jamaica. Sure, take the guided tours but from the resort but usually those tours are more expensive than if you used a private tour company or driver. There is a wonderful thread on TA called "Reliable Contacts" or something like that so that you can organize your own personal outings. But definitely DO take a walk off resort grounds to do some shopping, eating etc. You won't regret it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Do's / Not Do's

hey:

Do go to Dunn River Falls

Do go horseback riding on the beach

Do visit Margarittaville bar

Do visit a local straw market for the bartering experience & fun

There are not really any dont's that I can think of it's all fun in Jamaica.

Don't wander around alone, always go out in small groups. I'm not saying anything will or would happen but sometimes the vendors and some people can get a bit aggressive---especially if they want you to look at their crafts & gifts.

Heck, I wouldn't wander around (Toronto) alone where I live some days or at night.

Common sense, have fun, you will love it.

Jamaica and the people who live there are amazing!!

Taly

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Do's / Not Do's

I agree with taly there isn't much to worry about about the only thing I wouldn't do is wander around downtown in certain areas alone at night. You will love Jamaican people enjoy your vacation

Wyoming
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Do's / Not Do's

First time to Jamaica, but have been to several spots in Mexico and Belize. I do enjoy wandering around in town and visiting different places and people. I am from Wyoming and there is just no place that will get you in any trouble so I do watch mtself in new places! Thanks for all of your posts and will take it all under advisement.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Do's / Not Do's

Lots of ideas here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k17558…

7. Re: Must Do's / Not Do's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 01:51