We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaican shaman

mi
3 posts
Save Topic
Jamaican shaman

Hi guys i am going to the island in early june.i want to experience the real jamaica .i once read on the web that you can find real jamaican shaman in a part of the island called ,john crows spring, in st marys.has anyone been to this part of the island.if so how hard is it to get to from montego bay.thanks guys.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaican shaman

genie,

Why do you want to meet an Obeah man? This is a fairly long haul. You could meet one up in the mountains around the Westmoreland and Hanover border with a much shorter drive.

mi
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaican shaman

Thanks jamerican28 for the info.I like to do research on the supernatural .The reason why we chose st marys is because the article on the web said that the most potent shamans are in the state of st marys.do the private drivers go to that part of the island?

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaican shaman

Sure you could easily hire a driver to take you to that parish. Would you like me to provide you with a guide/taxi contact?

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaican shaman

Careful...Obia is some powerful stuff.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaican shaman

I am Jamaican and raised and baptized as a Christian. We were taught to stay away from obia as it is not "of God".

Now as a middle aged adult I am tempted to seek out more info about it to help me deal with a certain someone in my life. I'm struggling to hold onto my Christian beliefs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaican shaman

I think the proper spelling may be "Obeah"

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaican shaman

The more pure and spiritually developed a person is (especially if they are actively working towards real spiritual advancement) the more attention they will attract from the negatives to pull them down .

In other words, the potential of any aspirant generates their level of negative opposition, plus their level of positive assistance, as set by Karmic Law. This is the natural way of things, and is part of the reason why real long-term spiritual development is so difficult.

And this is also why those that achieve any significant level of spiritual / psychic development usually live fairly difficult lives, or have a painful past.

Robert Bruce — “White Light Shields”

xxx

mi
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaican shaman

a couple of questions

1)is john crow springs st marys ln the mountains?

2)will these obi men let us record their rituals?

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaican shaman

genie,

I'd assume it is but I can't say for sure. Most Obeah men live in very rural areas. It is highly unlikely that they'd allow you to record their rituals and even possible that they would not allow caucasion people to witness it at all. Obeah is not all that common in Jamaica. At least not as common as some think it is.

ny
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaican shaman

Genie. here is a good article in the jamaica papers.This should give a good explanation about these obeah men,they are said to be very powerful... jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/…news1.html