We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to send money?

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
143 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to send money?

I would like to send some money to a friend in Jamaica for a Christmas gift, what is the cheapest, safest way to get it to him.

After sending a box of gifts, only 9 lbs, for Christmas to our other friends and paying 50.00 (USPS) in shipping alone, I think money would be better.

Any ideas?

Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

I should have added that the WU and Moneygram agents here can be VERY difficult to deal with. You can stand in line for two hours (which doesn't happen with the other remittance services) and then get to the window only to be told that something isn't right or that they can't find the transfer. I have stormed out of the WU office on more than one occasion and now refuse to deal with them.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

I have had mixed reports regarding pick up points for WU, they are so varied, supermarkets, stores, banks, pharmacies etc. They range from very good to very poor.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

Most WU pick-up points are self-contained WITHIN another business. The largest one in Ocho Rios (there are two) is completely independent and is the worst to deal with.

NJ
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
34. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

I recommend MoneyGram ... Less than half the cost of Western Union & more pick-up locations than xoom.

Western Union is a rip-off. They claim to have the interest of Caribbean people at heart, but are raping us with their prices. I would not recommend them to anyone!!!

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

Moneygram cannot be sent online, unlike Xoom. In the UK their agent is the Post Office, which, while it has a lot of locations (at the time of writing LOL) invariably has lengthy queues. Xoom is cheaper than Moneygram for amounts up to about £400 - £500 (US $800 - $1000).

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

If they have Moneygram instead of Western Union, would rather use them, as I am familiar with them and have used them in the past..just need to make sure before I do that there is a moneygram pickup point in Negril.

37. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 05:48