We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to send money?

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
143 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to send money?

I would like to send some money to a friend in Jamaica for a Christmas gift, what is the cheapest, safest way to get it to him.

After sending a box of gifts, only 9 lbs, for Christmas to our other friends and paying 50.00 (USPS) in shipping alone, I think money would be better.

Any ideas?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

I use xoom to send money. You can have it set up to be delivered to them for $2 or they can pick it up. Also, you can have it wired to their bank account as well. Say if you want to send $50 it would cost you $11 with Western Union. Xoom is $7 but if you have it set up through your bank account instead of paypal or credit card the cost is $4. I've done this several times and never had any problems. I've even had it put directly into someone's bank account.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

Xoom worked for me as well

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

I've never used them, but Senvia is a Michael Lee Chin company that is very reasonable (and Caribbean/Jamaican focused)... I believe you can send up to $500 for somewhere between $5-7...

Chelle

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

How about money gram? We also plan on sending our friend so holiday money for him and his wife and girls. I was also told that for him to pick up the money it will require two forms of non-expired ID and a confirmation number. Is this correct?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

Is xoom anything like western union, and is it available anywhere in the US?

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

I was just on their website very informative xoom.com

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

Julie,

To pick up money from a xoom location they only need one form of ID and the confirmation #. When I wire money I call the person and give them the confirm #. It's all very simple really and if they have a bank account it's even easier for them.

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

Thanks Krim, we have been wanting to send money for sometime but have been too nervous to do so. I'm so happy there is a way to share with our friend. When we visit we try to give him so much for his family but we know it will only go so far. He has made such an impression on us as a person we feel the need to give him back and we know monetarily is where it is needed. Small price to pay for his friendship.

ontario
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

Crazy i use senvia all the time it goes to NCB bank in Jamaica you can send up to 5000 for 7 dollars and you can set it up through web banking

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to send money?

I have found Xoom to be a good way to send cash to JA; very fast, sent from a PC and about half the cost of Western Union. One drawback – Xoom have far less pick up points than Western Union, so choice of method can be dependant on where your recipient lives. Has anyone mentioned you need to know your recipient’s ‘phone number?

I have not noticed that cash could be sent to a bank account via Xoom and will have to check that out.

What has people’s experience of having money delivered been?