We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

prescott, AZ
1 post
Save Topic
Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

My husband and I just stayed at the MC guesthouse in PAP for about 12 days over the christmas season. Dale and Joyce Grabarkiewiecz, from Rochester Minnesota, whose ministry is managing the guesthouse were also there. It was a real joy to stay there - the place is clean and airy. The electricity and water are mostly very consistent but there were a few days we were without services. However, we were not bothered by it in the least. Dale and Joyce have a wealth of experience from their 20+ years in Haiti and its a treat to hear their perspective. Its also nice to be so close to the children's home because it makes volunteering so easy. The kitchen is fully stocked with utensils, and cookingware, but you should bring your own food! Fresh fruit is pretty easy to get in PAP but its not too safe to be going out on your own. We brought some food with us (non perishable stuff) and then made a trip to the grocery store while there. The grocery has an ample selection of mac and cheese, pasta, canned foods, peanut buttter, spam, and many other nonperishable items. I definitely recommend staying at the guesthouse and am looking forward to going back. Thanks Dale and Joyce!!!

Anna and Brian Bishop

wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

thanks for sharing. It is always great to hear about the Guest houses in Port au prince, as this is the least expensive way to stay when seving in Haiti. Some do provide your meals but probably at an increased cost. How much did you pay to stay here?

Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

7.50 usd per person per night

Minnesota
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

It should be stated clearly that any guests in this guest house are supposed to be volunteering their time at the Sisters, it is not for any other purpose. There is a dress code,and a very enforced curfew.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

Thanks for making this more clear. I have been to Haiti many times and although volunteer with sisters of charities in Hinche hospital, it is usually only for a day or so. Our real ministry is outlying clinics to the rural areas. So heads up to those who may read this. Other guest houses will be more appropriate, unless volunteering to serve at this specific mission.

5. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 May 2009, 23:30
Clearwater
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

I enjoyed your review of the PAP guesthouse. Do you have a phone or an email address for them? Thanks

Jim Edmiston

wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

The only ones i know is the WAlls International guest house (pool) about 35 dollars a night. They have a web site if you do a search.

Another one is the Mathew 25 house, I am guessing you could do a search and find it. 30 dollars a night I think. no pool, but very homey and cozy run by a sister.

Hope this helps

Minnesota
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

There are several guest houses:

Walls, as mentioned (google them)

Healing Hands (google)

St. Josephs

and St Josephs - Wings of Hope

and there is another I know of near Walls, but I can't recall the name.

My memory for most of them is a price around 45-50 with meals included.

9. Re: Missionaries of Charity Guesthouse in Port au Prince

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 11:51