We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me choose! (LBPS vs LBPCL)

TORONTO
Level Contributor
139 posts
80 reviews
Please help me choose! (LBPS vs LBPCL)

I am looking to book a holiday for myself and my mom and after many weeks of research we have narrowed it down to Luxury Bahia Principe Samana and Cayo Levatando. I've been agonizing over which to pick (I know...first world problems!) and just can't decide.

We are mid 40s and mid 60s respectively and value a great beach (clear, turqouise water, white sand), quality food and drinks over quantity (not fans of buffet or swim up bars) and low key quiet atmosphere. I think the 2 are comparable in this sense but with slight advantage for CL due to beach options (2 private and one public) and much larger pools? On the other hand, Samana is on mainland and I think easier to take tours/excursions from (we are considering a trip to Playa Rincon) not having to be tied to ferry/shuttle schedule. I also like working out and the gym at CL looks slightly better? Also, we love Yoga & massage on the beach -not sure if either are offering this?

I am aware that CL is no longer Adult Only but hoping not an issue as 12+ and just recently switched.

Lastly, price wise, Samana is $350 cheaper and we could book there & take the shuttle to CL for a better beach experience (will we have peace and quiet on the public beach)?

Please help!

5 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Please help me choose! (LBPS vs LBPCL)

I LOVED Luxury Samana.

It was so private, secluded and gorgeous. No one was every in the gym so you got full use of their equipment. The pool is small, but we often found we were the only ones in it! Could always get a good lounger. We also used the cold "Jacuzzi" by the spa as a plunge pool and we hung out there often (by ourselves...no one ever there. Bar close by and lots of private loungers.)

Beach is lovely, but not white sand and hardly anyone uses it. We loved playing in the waves.

Quality of food and drink was AMAZING! It is such a small place so they are not cooking for thousands of people like some other resorts - they are cooling for maybe 250 people. Buffet has AMAZING views for all meals and Don Pablo and Rodizio were 2 of the best meals I've ever had at a resort.

We did take the shuttle to Cayo Leventado public beach - very busy with tour boats there and people hounding you to buy things, we only stayed a few hours. The beach is lovely though.

Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
750 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Please help me choose! (LBPS vs LBPCL)

We have stayed at both and if the 350 is not a problem go to CL.

Beaches and food go to CL beach palapas at GB Samana fill up fast and reserved early.

Adults only to GB Samana.

Ferry for excursions no problem as the tours do their planning around them and usually the people from GB Samana pick up people from CL

Returning in July for two weeks for our 11th trip I think 🤔 or might be 12 anyway.

Both are great picks and you won’t go wrong and pm me if u have any questions I can help you with.

Steve

TORONTO
Level Contributor
139 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Please help me choose! (LBPS vs LBPCL)

Thank you both!

I ended up booking CL as I waited too long and the price for Samana went up to the point where there was very little difference. I do like the option of different beach areas and bigger pools at CL and the rooms/bathrooms seem nicer. I do know I'm giving up amazing views at Samana and perhaps will not experience the same level of service as CL is almost twice the size and now a family resort so it's bound to be busier.

Excited and nervous as this is my first time in Dominican.

Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
750 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Please help me choose! (LBPS vs LBPCL)

Both are good choices and u won’t regret booking CL.

Have a great holiday.

Steve

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Please help me choose! (LBPS vs LBPCL)

We booked CL for the third time with our 9 year-old son July 1 - July 8. We were there when he was 1.5 and 2.5 as it used to allow families.

7 years ago, when it did allow families, there were hardly any kids there. 4-5 kids at most in the entire resort, all really well behaved. The price point and lack of facilities geared towards kids still means most families avoid this place.

The beaches are excquisite and the resort isn’t too busy during the summer.

Reply to: Please help me choose! (LBPS vs LBPCL)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Samana Province