We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana? I'd love to hear from someone that actually gets bit by mosquitoes when they are around-not those who never get a bite (lucky you).

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

Odd thing, at home, I'm constantly the one who gets bit all the time by mosquitoes. I've been to Punta Cana 4 times and haven't had a one bite and everyone who I travel with wasn't bitten either. The resorts are constantly spraying, but I still pack my own bug spray just in case.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

It really depends on the weather. I usually have a bad time, but in December, I had purchased Avon's bug spray that they have now produced. It is a non-deet formula, and worked quite well. My problem was forgetting to put it on!

If there has been a lot of rain (not just the usual shower a day), then the mosquitoes are worse. They are industrial sized too! Last December I was a mess, but I have had few problems since as long as I cover myself, especially in the evenings, with the spray.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

Got bit once in the Punta Cana airport washroom. Does that count? Not bad for 15 weeks in D.R. It does depend where you intend to go though (ie: jungle, sleep outside, interior D.R.).

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

was there in late oct during rainy season. some days not one mosquito to be found...another all day and night long. i highly recommend a deet based product. i had it...others in our group did not. needless to say on the days that it was needed i was in demand. important thing to remember with a deet based product is to shower before going to bed. it's not good to have deet on you for extreme periods of time.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

...were just there and my legs and feet are covered in bites, we realized at the resort we stayed at , The Melia Caribe, they have a lot of water ponds in the middle of the lobby bars, etc. and at night we'd be sitting around there and I'm sure that is how we got all of our bites, and you don't notice when they bite you like back home....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

If you drink tonic water (Agua Tonica) then you will have a better chance of not being bit. They do not like the smell or taste.

Also start taking vitamine B two weeks before you leave , they hate this as well.

Not only will the vitamine B keep the mosquitoes away it will keep you very ( Manzo) Relaxed as its a stress formula vitamine. LOLOL

Do not use perfume or over eat sweet treats, this is a sure way to attract the little suckers to you........

Have a great Vacation

Terry

portage la prairie
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

stayed at majestic and never got bit - never wore repelent either - some others got bit must be better blood or something

upstate new york
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

secretsbride - Vitamin B? Never heard that repells mosquitoes - I get monthly B12 shots - does that count?

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

Yes some of us are prone to bites, thats me. As long as I am around everyone else is safe. Just got back from Excellence and the first half of the stay not a bite. The last couple nights the wind died down and I am sitting here covered in mosquito welts. This resort fogged and I sprayed myself plus wore pants in the evenings but those little buggers love me.

NH
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes in Punta Cana

I got back last night, and got one bite on my ankle when I was at the sports bar at Excellence watching a game. Never wore bug spray.