We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

NJ
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

This will be our first stay at an all inclusive also Punta

cana and eventhough I know tips are supposed to be included I'm sure that's not the real world.

We will be at the Paradisus Palma Real with Royal service.

I would appreciate any guidance you could give me on the following people I think should be tipped and if I missed any could you please advise.

Bellmen

Maid

Dining room waiter

Bartender

Pool waiter

Butler

Concierge

Taxi Driver

Do you tip everytime you use the service or something in the beginning and at the end.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards,

Dennis

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

We did not stay at the Paradisus, and we only stayed for 3 nights, but I think your most important tips should go to your, your housekeeper, your fridge filler, your concierge and your waiter. Upon arrival, I found our housekeeper, camarista, and in Spanish asked if she would be our housekeeper during our entire stay. This let me know if I needed to tip her large before there is a changing of the guard. In Spanish, I asked her to leave a certain amount of towels. I then tipped her $5. Every day thereafter, I left her $2. I also made up bags of school supplies for her children. At the end of our stay, I left another $5 and a personal gift . Next, I left a note in the fridge, in Spanish, asking the fridge filler for what I wanted to drink daily and left $2 inside the fridge with the note. This way the housekeeper would not think it was hers. I left $2 daily in the fridge. The first bartender who served us received $5. Thereafter, nightly, I tipped $5 at the end of the night. I did the same with the swim up bartender , the waiter and the pool towel person.

We did not have butler, pool waiter or concierge, but I would probably follow the same tipping rules. I would guess your butler should receive a little more.

No matter where my husband and I travel, we have found we tip larger in the beginning. Hopefully, this will give us good service. Thereafter, we tip daily, if the service is good and tip large again at the end of our stay, if the service was outstanding.

Bellmen....$1 per bag

Bottom line: Bring plenty of $1 and $5 USD bills.

Naturally, when we travel in the US, our tipping is always 20%. But, since gratuities are included in an all inclusive, I tipped less.

Hope this helps.

PRIZE

NJ
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

Prize,

Thanks for the info

Cherry Hill
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

You are staying at a gorgous hotel. I don't know about the inner workings of it (I stayed next door at the Caribe), but the Palma Real is breath-taking.

Bellmen....I tipped my bulter $5.00, He also arranged for champage in my room later and other things. I didn't see him again until Wednesday, so that was it for him.

Maid...I tipped her two dollars a day because I figured I wasn't getting the same one each day. I also left tootsie rolls which she loved. I always has diet pepsi and water and anything else I asked for in my refrigerator.

Dining room waiter...I TRIED to leave a tip each night, but many times the waiter won't be around at the end. When they were, I tipped a dollar a person. If I was by myself sometimes more, but I usually ended up having three or four people waiting on me a night.

Bartender...a dollar for the first drink on the beach in the morning and then a dollar at the swim up bar in the afternoon or the girl who waited on me at my beach lounge. After dinner bars are up to you.

Pool waiter...see above.

Butler...he is your bell man BUT...when I got a different bulter at night (pillow delivery, room service) I tipped a dollar a visit.

Concierge...didn't tip them, but they were great. The conciege service at the Palma Real is beautiful. You can get food and drinks there 24/7

Taxi Driver...5,00 on the way in...5.00 on the way out, but we had more people to chip in on the way back.

MA/RI
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

Stacy sounds like tipping was perfect....glad i planned on it ahead of time...did your maid like the little gifts you had brought or did you feel it was too much? Gald to hear you could get champagne in the room too....was it extra?

i'm asking ou so many questions but i'm sure you'll put up a review once you've relaxed and come back to reality.....stinks doesn't it...lol

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

We always tip the usual, maid, bellboy, bartender blah blah blah

But seriously the maids get tipped by EVERYONE...WE like to tip the people who rarely see tips. The gardener, the guy in the lobby mopping the floors. And what about the animation staff, look how hard they work. Try tipping those people they probably don't see that many tips and work just as hard.... Have a great trip!

Baltimore, MD
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

hi - my partner and i are going to the paradisus palma real in october - please post a trip review when you get back!

have a great trip!

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

Stayed at Riu Taino August 12th ---

We tipped for everything; even the guys who push your Hobie

Cat sailboat in the water for you; and the guy who receives your dirty towels near the pool areas; and of course the luggage movers and all the food and bartenders.

But --- I never saw another person tip anyone during my entire stay.

Seems that if you can afford to go to a lavish resort, you can afford to give away some bucks that you won't even notice. I felt that the tipping was just a generous American / Canadian thing; OR it was just a coincidence that I never saw anyone else tipping.

Anyone agree??

Connecticut fan of D.R.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

We were at Secrets in January. The information below is from my review:

* TIPPING

I don’t understand the people that stay at Secrets that do not tip. How can you take a drink from a girl that has hauled her a$$ to the bar and back in the heat and not tip her? The resort workers are pretty poor. They depend on the kindness of the guests that offer them a small monetary gesture of thanks. Having said the previous, you receive excellent service whether you tip or not. We tipped when we received good service, which was always. I am pretty generous; don’t feel that you need to tip as much as I did…any tip is appreciated:

Maid...$5.00 each day.

Bartender / Server of Drinks...$1.00 per drink.

Server in Buffet Restaurants...$5.00 per meal, per couple.

Server in Menu Restaurants...$5.00 - $10.00 per meal, per couple.

Turndown Maid...$2.00 - $5.00 each day.

Mini-Bar Person...$2.00 each day.

Excursion Guide...$10.00 per excursion, per couple.

Helicopter Pilot...$20.00 each way, per couple.

Apple Vacations Driver...$5.00 each way (to/from resort).

Apple Vacations Representative...$5.00 on the way to the resort.

Brenda :~)

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

Looking at my previous posting, did you see anyone else tipping, or did you think you were one of the few?

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusive Tipping Guideline

bob4law:

Yes, we did see others tipping at Secrets. BUT, not enough people were tipping.

IMO...unless you receive crappy service, everyone should tip. Secrets is expensive. If you can afford to vacation at Secrets, then you can afford to tip the hardworking staff.

Brenda :~)