We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Came back with a stomach bug

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Came back with a stomach bug

Hey guys! Hopefully someone here has experienced this too (not that I wish this feeling on anyone). Basically about 2 days before coming home my stomach just started hurting. I lost my appetite and tried to watch what I ate and drank. Well now that I'm home I've had to keep to a super bland diet of toast and water. If I try to introduce anything different my stomach acts up again. If you experienced something like this how long till it was out of your system? There is nothing a doctor can do for me correct?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

Happens to me all the time, I just don't know when to stop taking the Presidentes. it take me three days to feel right.

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

It's definitely not alcohol related for me because I didn't drink much because the drinks that I got tasted awful. I'm on day 4 or 5 of this. :(

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

A couple years ago I got the "trotts" from a trip to Cuba. Stomach pains and the dreaded trips to the bathroom.

Mine, however, was likely due to the fact that I brushed my teeth with the tap water. It was something I knew I shouldn't do, but a mistake that happened innocently, simply due to habit and not paying attention while not fully awake.

The lingering affects lasted on and off for the better part of 2 weeks. Nothing really bad, no vomitting, just some minor cramps and the odd unpleasant bathroom visit. It was weird, it would seem to get better one day, then the next right back to the cramps and diarrhea.

Hopefully you get over it quick.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

Have you been to your doctor, if not, would pay them a visit???

Edited: 10 August 2011, 21:47
PA
Level Contributor
152 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

last time I got the 'trots' from the Caribbean, I went to the dr. and he told me to try the BRAT diet for a few days-bananas, rice (white),applesauce and toast. It worked after a couple days

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

Eat yogurt, and apples / drink apple juice to stop the runs. Don't drink any milk.

also try some pepto perhaps... should help the upset tummy. you should be fine in a day or so.

can i just ask - where did u stay in punta cana.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

Get to your Doctor! You might have a bcterial infection, parasite, etc. Tell the Dr you were in Punta Cana... many travellers to the Dominican Republic experience similar symptoms - I would not take the chance of treating it yourself... Hope you get better soon.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

Agree with Denise, especially when Cholera is a risk, a couple of days is plenty to wait before seeking medical attention.

Barrie, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

You could have picked up the bug on the airplane, taxi, or anything you touched. Get better and see a Doctor if it doesn't get better.

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
328 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Came back with a stomach bug

FSU - Where did you stay? We just got back a week ago and the wife and I got a bad spell of the bubble guts.