We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

does it rain everyday???!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
does it rain everyday???!

coming to Punta Cana on 1/25 and have been checking the weather the past 3 wks...all i've seen is clouds and rain! Tell me I'm not going to be sitting in my room, watching the rain cascade down my windows for the entire week!

Harrisburg, PA
4 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: does it rain everyday???!

Sorry to say we went 17-24 and were very discouraged by the weather. Learned a lesson - don't go to the Atlantic side of the Dominican Republic in January! It's winter there too... clouds, rain and wind every day. The water was too rough to get in and the pools were cold because of the wind. Made a day trip to the other side of the island (the Carribean side) and that was beautiful. Still enjoyed ourselves but won't go back.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: does it rain everyday???!

We just got back yesterday from Secrets. We were there from the 22-29. I agree with the last post that weather was not great while we were there. Way too windy for us and it did rain almost everyday especially around midday. Had a lot of overcast days. Did have sun tho and when we did it was HOT HOT HOT. Was so windy one day that the sand stung our legs and the sea salt dried on our sunglasses. That is not a fun time. We spent most of our time by the cascade pool. At the main pool it you did not get up early and save a chair, there weren't any. I think that was because the ocean was way too choppy. In fact, a man drowned during our stay. I would stay out of that ocean. The undertow is bad.

Harrisburg, PA
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: does it rain everyday???!

WOW - a man drowned?? We were at Secrets as well (January 17-24)... loved the physical resort but the rest left something to be desired! We won't be going back.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: does it rain everyday???!

Yes, a man died. I do not know if he was an American or not. It was in the morning on Tuesday the 24th. So sad. We were told that it happens an average of once a month and more in the summer. They did wisk him away off the side of resort and hardly anyone knew. They do keep it rather quiet. I have never read anything on this board about anyone drowning while on vacation. They had to rescue another later in the day. There were some pretty strong waves. The resort does not own the ocean and they did have the red flags out so they only do what they have to do I guess. I love to sit on the beach and go into the ocean but we did not on this trip. Love the calm waters more

Harrisburg, PA
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: does it rain everyday???!

The 24th was the morning we left - amazing; didn't even notice it. We made a day trip to the Island Soana while we were there. That is where we should have gone - calm waters and sunny skies! Oh well, I wasn't in Harrisburg PA and that makes it a good vacation. :-)

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: does it rain everyday???!

wow.. weather is just weather.. doesn't matter where you go!!! Sometimes it rains in one part of the country, sometimes another.. We were at Secrets Jan 10 to 17th, and had beautiful weather all week, except for 1 afternoon, when it rained for about 1 hr..

You can't honestly tell me just because the weather was bad for one week, you think this is what the weather is like there all winter..

I can assure ou that it does rain on Saona Island as well.. it's just a timing issue.

I've been to DR in every season, dry to hurricane.. and I'll say again.. weather is just weather.. it is unpredictable, just like at home, but there is still less rain in the DR than other islands

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
624 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: does it rain everyday???!

January is actually in their less rainy season. If you go to the following site it will talk all about the climate, etc.

http://www.puntacana.net/climate-en.html

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: does it rain everyday???!

Just returned ( 1/31); had sun EVERY day, a quick shower every day, and HURRICANE WINDS from Thursday to Sunday! It was a good thing we decided to snorkel the first day we got there!

It was still in the 80s, though.

LOVED Punta Cana!!!!:)