We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback riding in PC

Princeton Jct., NJ
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback riding in PC

Last autumn there were quite a few posts complaining about the quality of horseback riding here. We had gone and totally enjoyed it in Nov. '07. We went again in Nov. '09. It turns out, both times we went to the same ranch. Both experiences were wonderful. I spoke to the booking agent this past time about the different ranches. They had recently changed ranches due to complaints about the one they had been using. The one we went to was Rancho Caribeno. The one they stopped using was El Pat Ranch. You should be aware, however, that the horses are not as big as we are used to at home. They appear happy, healthy, friendly, attentive, and responsive.

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback riding in PC

I used El Pats Ranch years ago and did not think the horses looked mistreated. I think things changed since I have been there last.

Not much info on Rancho Caribeno so does anyone know about this place?

LOL my Punta Cana vacation isn't looking so exciting anymore. :(

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback riding in PC

It's fairly simple. If the ribs and bones of the horse are pronounced, then they are not getting enough to eat. To load 'em up with an adult is unfair. If they are standing in the hot sun along with saddles and bridles, then this is also unfair.

Yes, I realize this is a third world country where life can be harsh, but I see the same things in trail ride horses here. Size is not really a consideration, but the condition of the animal is.

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback riding in PC

I agree with your statement. Honestly just wondering if I should waste the time by going and checking it out myself. Besides if the horses do look that bad I might get thrown in jail cause I would love to beat the crap outta the ranch hands that are doing this.

For the record I have been on some rides where the horses are well taken care of. It was a great ride. One island I would warn people NOT TO DO this for their own safety would be Aruba. Last time we were there someone on the plane was going back with a broken leg. I have warned many about Notorious Ranch and have seen others promote it. :(

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback riding in PC

We used El Pat Ranch the last time we were in PC. OMG!!! I was so close to going ballistic. Those poor horses were so mistreated it was beyond belief.

During the ride when one of the poor horses was lagging behind. One of the guides was going from the front to the back of the pack. He was hitting the horse that was lagging with a leather strap, then he got beside it and started kicking her. Then the horse he was riding was foaming at the mouth, snorting so hard and heaving like he was gasping for breath.

When we finally returned to the ranch there was a trough of some kind with water. All of the horses were so thirsty they immediately went toward it. However the ranch hands grabbed them before they could get a drink and put them in the big corral where there was no water. It was so hard for me to watch what was happening. If this type of treatment occurred in the US of Canada that "ranch" would be shut down in a NY minute.

Once we returned to the resort I made sure anyone we talked to was made aware of the treatment these animals were subject to. Upon returning home I posted on every travel board I could find. Please.....make sure you investigate the ranch before you go.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback riding in PC

Yes, Wutzy I would check it out before you go and if in your opinion the animals are in poor shape, then don't spend your money. If they look healthy then go ahead. Not all the outfits are crooks:-)

Your decision to be a customer or not is what matters. I don't mean to be a negative type, I'm only saying to make the decent choice.

Princeton Jct., NJ
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback riding in PC

Please don't misunderstand me. We thought the horses at Rancho Caribeno were well taken care of. My comment about size was that they are not as many hands tall as we're used to seeing at home. They were not skinny. There were no bones showing through their skin. I galloped on the beach without having to prod the horse. The ride was well mixed between wooded areas with overhanging vegetation that protected both the horses and the riders from the strong sun with beach riding. The stables were clean and the horses were kept inside protecting them from the sun when not riding. There was plenty of water and food around. The handlers seemed to care about them and all interactions were friendly. There was no kicking them in the sides or whipping them to do anything. This ranch did a great job, treated the horses well, and we had breaks in the ride for them to rest in shade. All in all, it was an extremely good experience. I'm going back next month and will do it again. I heartily reccomend Rancho Caribeno for a good riding experience with well kept horses.

I've been to other islands where the experience was not so good. In Nevis the horses were so unhappy, they threw an old, old man off into the sea. It clearly wasn't anything he did, but built up displeasure on the part of the horse.

7. Re: Horseback riding in PC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2010, 10:46