We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the Haiti relief efforts using Punta Cana airport?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
593 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Are the Haiti relief efforts using Punta Cana airport?

we are arriving saturday at punta cana airport. how is the airport affected by the haiti relief efforts. i heard that they are using sto domingo airport but, it may be to much for them.

- how is punta cana affected? are there any relief shelter set-up? are the resorts affected?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the Haiti relief efforts using Punta Cana airport?

From what I have read and heard they are using the Santo Domingo Airport.

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,808 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the Haiti relief efforts using Punta Cana airport?

Punta Cana is just too far away from the Haitian border. I doubt that the PUJ airpot will be used for relief efforts.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the Haiti relief efforts using Punta Cana airport?

Hello

From the BBC wesite -

A few US aid planes and a 50-strong Chinese rescue team with sniffer dogs have landed at the airport serving the capital, Port-au-Prince.

Other plane-loads of rescuers and relief supplies are said to be on the way from the EU, Canada, Russia and Latin American nations.

A British rescue team with heavy lifting gear and dogs has landed in the Dominican Republic and will be in Haiti later on Thursday.

Nothing has been rfeported to date about any relief shelters in the DR.

As other posts have reported the DR has not,thankfully been affected by the earthquake.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the Haiti relief efforts using Punta Cana airport?

Hello (Again)

Just heard on the news that Oxfam are flying their relief effort into Santo Domingo Airport.

However, they were saying that there may be problems getting the relief into Haiti because of the infrastructure of roads etc.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the Haiti relief efforts using Punta Cana airport?

Hi,

Just got back a few hours ago and there was no sign or mention of relief work traffic, I think that it is highly unlikely that they would use Punta Cana, maybe Puerto Plata!

E1

6. Re: Are the Haiti relief efforts using Punta Cana airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 10:49