We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have post-vacation stomach problems?

South Jersey
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone have post-vacation stomach problems?

Didn't know if it was normal to have diareaha and tiredness.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have post-vacation stomach problems?

Diarrhea can be a symptom of a number of problems some not very serious and some quite serious. The main concern in the short term is dehydration so at all costs keep hydrated and be careful of some OTC remedies as they may not be the best treatment - read labels carefully and treat warnings with respect. If you feel you are becoming dehydrated in spite of your best efforts seek medical treatment immediately.

If the diarrhea persists to the point where you feel medical intervention is required make sure that you tell the medical personnel that you recently returned from the tropics and be sure to have them include tests to detect parasitic conditions as a precautionary step in addition to their normal tests.

The tiredness is possibly normal given the diarrhea but once agian if you are concerned seek medical help.

Gregg

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have post-vacation stomach problems?

Oh and no it's not normal, unless it is normal for you and you would already know that and presumably would not be asking.

Gregg

New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have post-vacation stomach problems?

Two days after I came back from Club Med in July. I thought I was going to die !! I had stomach cramps that were as bad as any contractions I ever had in child birth and vomiting and could barely get out of bed. But out of my family of four I was the only to get sick. It lasted two days. And stopped just as I was contemplating going to the ER

South Jersey
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone have post-vacation stomach problems?

Well I hope that mine is over soon. No vomiting just bad pains and fatigue. I am leaving for Disney on Tues. so I'm praying it will be better by then.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone have post-vacation stomach problems?

It is funny how one person can get sick and the others don't Several years ago I contracted Salmonella. My family of 5 had all eaten the same thing and I was the only one who got sick!! One never knows

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone have post-vacation stomach problems?

Just keep in mind that you are used to your kinds of food at home, then you go to a different country with different foods, then you go back home, back to your own foods. No wonder you have diarhea. I'm so used to going to the DR that I actually get the runs after I'm back home. As far as tiredness, I'm not surprised. You go on vacation, are up all hours of the night, you're not working (thats why its called a vacation!). When I got back from my 2 week vacation in the DR, my head was still in the clouds (or should i say mountains???). My body was getting back into the groove of going to bed at a decent hour and getting up at the crack of dawn to go to work.

You'll be fine, give it a few weeks.

Cheryl