We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning a trip at the end of december, weather??

Canton of Ticino...
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
planning a trip at the end of december, weather??
Save

hello, never been to D.R., and we are planning a trip (young couple) at the end of december, likely 26 dec to 04 jan.

How will be the weather? We really like WARM water, and can we expect it to be at least 80F ?

And what about wind/clouds?

We are from central europe and we want to escape the winter and sunbathe and swim in a warm place!

We are also considering other destinations in the Caribbeans but I see that Punta Cana has some great resorts for a great price, and that is a big plus, but if the weather is not the best and there are other Caribbean island with far better weather in this period, we might reconsider then

4 replies to this topic
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
1. Re: planning a trip at the end of december, weather??
Save

Punta Cana is not on the Caribbean sea - it's on the north Atlantic Ocean.

The destination on the Caribbean coast of the DR is Bayahibe - about 65 km south of PUJ.

The sea temperature in the Caribbean in December is around 26degC. and the daytime shade temp about 28C. The wind is usually from the north east "the trade winds" so the west and south facing coasts are preferable as the wind is offshore. Cloud comes and goes on the winds but it's rarely overcast all day. The weather in this area is mostly the same although fwiw we find Antigua the driest - in some places it looks like an Ionian Greek island.

Btw - on my first trip abroad we went to Lugano by train from Lucerne for a day in the warmer south. What a superb train ride!

Edited: 24 September 2021, 01:02
Canton of Ticino...
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: planning a trip at the end of december, weather??
Save

Thank you very much for the answer!

So could I ask you, what of the islands in the Caribbean sea, that have a good weather situation in december/january, has the most "caribbean postcard" look? Crystal clear water (preferably no seaweed)? So that I can research those places and pick one, I'll add Bayahibe to my list, thank you

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
3. Re: planning a trip at the end of december, weather??
Save

I'll send you a list of places we have holidayed over Xmas & NY in the Caribbean ( 5 islands in all) on a private message as this is , after all, the Punta Cana forum.

I can send some photos too if you wish to an email address of your choice. It's best you set up a new free account and then delete it when you wish. Send the email address by private message not on a public forum.

Just saying - ten days is very short considering the length of the journey - we normally stay for 3 or 4 weeks. From where are you flying; Berne, Paris, Milan, Madrid, London etc?

Edited: 24 September 2021, 12:39
Canton of Ticino...
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: planning a trip at the end of december, weather??
Save

Thank you again! Yes I would love to know during Christmas and NY's eve, where did you enjoy it the most, with the best weather and cleanest water/beaches!

I will wait for your PM!

And sadly we only can stay 9 nights and we will depart either from Milano or Zurich!

Finally about Punta Cana, I found a good offer for the Resort Dreams Royal Beach, in Bavaro, which has great reviews, but I'm afraid Bavaro won't be as good as Bayahibe, as you explained, Bavaro is on the Atlantic Ocean!

Reply to: planning a trip at the end of december, weather??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.