We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid travel insurance

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
Covid travel insurance
Save

I discovered something today, as long as Canada has a travel advisory we are not covered for anything Covid related , whether it’s through the travel site rbc medical coverage you can choose or your credit card that you would normally use for travel.

Does this mean everyone that travels is simply chancing everything?

14 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

Allianz Global Assistance has a Covid policy that you can purchase on top of your travel insurance for less than $20. I just got mine yesterday and i’m flying to dominican this Saturday.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

Thanks amirfar I sent you pm.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

They are covering covid , but not interruption from covid

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

Called Allianz today and got a good rate as for covid $150 perday and 2180 max for the stay , Didn’t exactly understand the specifics but it’s something and it would be $48 for the two of us.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

Linda K sounds kinda conflicted. :)

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

By the way Allianz did tell me that as long as our Country Canada isn’t issuing a travel advisory for Punta Canada that their insurance is in place.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
216 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

Wgrid, does that mean, they won't cover the extra cost, like accommodation, food and reschedule flight back home in case of positive test?

Edited: 24 September 2021, 18:25
Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
75 reviews
122 helpful votes
8. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

I called RBC Visa insurance and had to buy an extra policy to cover Covid related costs that were not covered by my RBC Visa card such as emergency airlift and additional coverage to cover my partner’s expenses like if she has to rebook her flights etc.

RBC covered the basic stuff but it was worth the call to get what was covered and purchased exactly what I wanted coverage and it was done by the phone and they sent me policy via email with confirmation number and was quite painless and affordable.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

Modal s she definitely said if there is a travel advisory because of covid that the insurance wouldn’t cover anything of the insurance like room coverage , the food she didn’t mention but for sure there is no insurance as for rescheduling the flight. If I were not double vaccinated I would not be going. We’re all booked at the excellence el Carmen for November. They have a great program for if you get a covid test and it comes back positive. We just returned home from a 3 week vacation in Nova Scotia ,and started with a 4 nite stay in Toronto and then the flight into Nova Scotia. I’m feeling confident we will do ok.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
216 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: Covid travel insurance
Save

There is no essential travel advisory in Canada, and being fully vaccinated dosen't guarantee negative test. So I'm looking if actually there is any insurance that covers accommodation, food and new flight back in case of positive test.

Reply to: Covid travel insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.