We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

Manchester, United...
10 posts
Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

I’ve booked a surprise holiday to celebrate my other half’s 40th birthday in mid September.

Neither of us have ever been to the Dominican before. Apparently September is hurricane/rainy season however as I’m restricted on dates I decided to just go for it and hope for the best (a bit of rain won’t stop us having a good time but a hurricane may be an issue, fingers crossed)

I’ve booked the Riu Palace Macao but I’m wondering if I’ve chosen the right hotel. Quite a few reviews have said it’s an older crowd staying at this hotel, not that the age of the crowd matters much to us but I don’t want to be in a really quiet resort. We’re not exactly party animals but I’m not ready to hang up my dancing shoes and go to bed early early either. One of my reasons for booking the Macao was because it’s adults only, I thought it would be nice to relax and get away from kids as we have 2 of our own at home. I guess i’m just getting cold feet as it’s a surprise so it’s all on me if it’s wrong. Any advice would be appreciated, is the Macao mega quiet? should I stick with the Macao? Or would I maybe be better off swapping to somewhere a bit livelier?

11 replies to this topic
Ohio
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

It can change based on people there at the time. You have use of the other rui hotels next door. You will find plenty to do

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
190 reviews
2. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

We found the Macao was a quieter than other resorts we been to. That being said the no reservation system for dinner, premium liquor, lobster at the steakhouse every night, new swim up pool bar, the sit down menu restaurant neat the beach for lunch and beautiful wide beach with lots of palm trees made up for it. They also share a night club with it's sister resort which you can go to. Also sometimes it depends on what kind of crowd will be there the week you are going.

Manchester, United...
10 posts
3. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

Thanks for the replies. You’re both right, I suppose it will change depending on who’s there at the time and it does look like a lovely hotel with good reviews. Can we use all the riu hotels when staying at the Macao or is it just selected ones as I’ve read conflicting info. Which Rius would you recommend we visit if we fancy a bit of a livelier night

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
44,542 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

When staying at the Riu Palace Macao you can use the Riu Bambu and the Riu Naiboa but they tend to be full of kids which is not really what you want when you are wanting to be away from kids.

Angie.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

I hate to add another concern...the status of sargassum of the beach. It can render the beach useless. We stayed at the Riu Bambu MANY years ago. The beach and palms in that area are gorgeous. While The palms are plentiful, they do not have palapas on the beach.

If you are truly concerned. And you purchased Cancel For Any Reason insurance and switch resorts

Good luck. I am on sargassum watch as well. W are travelling to Excellence El Carmen 9/28 - 10/5

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
44,542 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

prizefromphilly,

<<If you are truly concerned. And you purchased Cancel For Any Reason insurance and switch resorts>>

As the OP is from the UK there is no such travel insurance sold in the UK as Cancel For Any Reason.

Angie.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

Just beside , the neighbour is the Riu Bambu , you have acces, you'll have fun.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
801 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

We've been to the Riu Macao 3 times and have fully enjoyed it each time. As Foodman said there are no reservations required for restaurants, a big plus for us is that you can dine at the ala carte restaurants as many nights as you want.

Beach is beautiful. There is Sargassum (sea weed) on the beach at times, but the staff work diligently to keep the beach clean. The Sargassum has never deterred us from enjoying the beach.

Manchester, United...
10 posts
9. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

Thanks everyone. Feel a lot better about my descision to book the Macao now. Think i probably just needed a bit of reassurance 😊

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
365 posts
71 reviews
10. Re: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel

as a fan of RIU hotels, without a doubt, you have made the right decision.

i've stayed in 8 RIU's 7 in the palace category. you generally have a show on of an evening, usually until 11 -12pm if you still want to you have the choice to go to another RIU, where it has generally a more party atmosphere, so you can choose between the best of both worlds.

go enjoy and don't worry.

Reply to: Worried i’ve chosen the wrong hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted