We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No new question

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
No new question

I know this must have been asked hundres of times but well everybody's demand is uniqie....We Are planning an all inclusive in Carribean in Sept bringing my 3 yrs old who is a bit afraid of water 😂😂..We want something for her to play, a clean resort with relatively high standard of sanitation, and a decent food that again will unlikely bring food poison

issue. Any suggestion? Have been coming back and forth btw Fantasia and Iberostar Bavaro..Any recommendation? Or I have chosen the best two lol.

12 replies to this topic
manchester
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: No new question

What I would say regarding food poisoning is check yourself that everything is cooked thoroughly. I don’t know if it’s our bad luck but out of 3 trips to the DR, we have experiencing raw (and when I saw raw I mean blood in chicken and blood in pork) on 2 of the 3 occasions. Once was at the Catalonia Bavaro hotel and the other was at the Luxury Gran Bahia Bouganville (which is the same hotel chain as Fantasia). Both times this was in a buffet restaurant. I think chefs are under pressure to cook quickly and have the hot plate too hot so the outside seems cooked but the inside isn’t. I just wanted to share my experiences so you know to check the food before your little one eats it (and of course you). This will definitly help minimise the risk of food poisoning. We would have had full on food poisoning if we had eaten what was on our plates without checking it.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: No new question

Most of the cases of “food poisoning” reported are not at all bacteria related. It’s viral. Once visitor arrives with a virus it spreads quickly.

Watch the other guests, people are absolute filthy pigs.

I have watched guests paw through the basket of rolls in the buffet bypassing the tongs, hold a loaf of bread with their bare hands while slicing it. Reach into the French fry bin to grab a handful, too lazy to use the scoop, put food back onto the tray after they change their minds and eat with their finger in the buffet line. Then they use the dirty hands to grab a serving spoon! Passing their germs on. How many visitors never use soap on their hands after using the washroom? Women especially are guilty of the “2 finger sprinkle and go”. I even saw a man once lick off his knife and put it back into the peanut butter.

We take hand sanitizer in small purse sized bottles. We never touch our cutlery until we have used it. When we sit down, initially and after each trip to the buffet. And we watch like hawks and report those who threaten our health. We have never been ill since we started this practice.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 20:35
Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: No new question

On our first trip to Catalonia Royal, we went to the buffet at Catalonia Bavaro and the meat was undercooked; the bacon was almost raw. Things might have improved since but I would be extremely careful if I had to eat at their buffet again. As well, during our trip to Grand Bahia Principe Esmeralda, at one of their specialty restaurant, I was served beef which was seriously undercooked. I didn't want to make a fuss over it so I ate it as is but was so sick. I had never in my whole life been so sick. Now a days, if I am not comfortable with the way the meat has been cooked, I return it. So whatever you do, don't be afraid to return your meal if you don't feel comfortable with it....

Hope this helps!

Christine

murillo
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: No new question

Barcelo Bavaro has ocean like glass for young ones and everything else you are looking for. You can get sick at any resort. watch the kids closely , tap water as well. unfortunately the whole island is getting hit with sea weed .. some days none..some lots.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 21:29
Oshawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,816 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: No new question

Rebecca,

Welcome to the Punta Cana forums.

You have selected two excellent resorts, with the Luxury Bahia Fantasia being substantially newer.

The Fantasia has its own exclusive on site Water Park if this makes a difference for you.

We have found the food to be very good with excellent selection as well, however, one should always check to be sure that the food anywhere is sufficiently cooked for you - especially chicken.

The Fantasia is designed for children with a mini club and so many activities for children as well.

Hope this helps and that you have a wonderful vacation in Punta Cana.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Edited: 07 August 2018, 21:40
Toronto, Canada
8 posts
6. Re: No new question

Thank you Emma for taking the time to reply. We shall check our food especially meat thorouly before proceed..

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
7. Re: No new question

lol....As i was reading your comments i couldn't help Wonder if I ever have had any nasty behaviour myself hahaha. Guess not that bad...I will note down your routine. Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
8. Re: No new question

Yeah heard of that..was thinking about Jamaica at first but with the safety alert earlier this year i'd better not to go this time - hence Punta Cana. Oops we finally chose Iberoster.. i was driving myself crazy in the process of decision making..

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
9. Re: No new question

The hand foot mouth disease threw me off in the end...funny thing is that My 3 yr old had it before lol...She is too small to play at the water park so I will Just be with her most of time. Now reading the replies i am not sure if Iberostar is the best choice but well, It has been a star hotel there we can't ignore that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: No new question

StYed at the Ambar and I’m sure the Fantasia should be on that same level. Great food? No. But good food with plenty to choose from? Yes.

Reply to: No new question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted