We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Reviews

Not sure how the policy works but aren't reviews to be about the resort you just visited? I see reviews that say we are here now and list all of their problems in a possible attempt to get upgrades and freebies. Why does TA allow this. Shouldn't that be handled on site with the resort. Maybe I am wrong but just think it is a bad policy by TA to be able to write a review while there. A forum is a little different. Just my 2 cents about something that irritates me.

27 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,492 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews

My pet peeve is when they start out the review complaining about the flight or the transfer. I move on immediately and stop reading the review.

Sometimes They hope that writing bad things while they are there will blackmail the resort into giving them what they want.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 21:05
murillo
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews

TA erases a lot of posts for no reason .. some for arguing with TA management . Personally I never read reviews. 2 weeks after you post them you could change your mind and do a do over..lol

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
739 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews

Edmonton Mama,

How about reviewers who downgrade the resort because of Sargassum, or even worse the weather?

Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews

At a minimum, I find the reviews entertaining. You have the uppity or spoiled who complain about everything. You have the angry who complain about any little thing. You have first timers, who are shocked some people living in a Spanish speaking country don't speak english. You have the dust bunnies who think everything is dirty. You have the foodies who are expecting gourmet food. Yada, yada. I use the reviews to look at the trends. If a lot of people say service is bad, I would expect less than average service. If several say the food is good or decent, I'd expect decent food. I discount most extreme reviews unless everyone is complaining about the same things. I am also leery of the everything was 'amazing' reviews. Plants.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,730 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews

I agree but it is within the rules

You also see people posting on the properties Facebook pages trying to get leverage with the property

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
675 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews

I always think it's strange to write a review while you are still at the resort. I've seen some where the writer had only been there for two nights & had another eight nights to go. Things could get considerably better (or worse) over the whole holiday & surely they must realise you are not supposed to write another review unless you make another visit.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews

I just read (and flagged) a review written by someone *in advance of* their stay. The person is clearly angling for some kind of upgrade or special treatment. 🙄

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviews

I agree ... People posting reviews 1 day in are angling for freebies/ upgrades. How is it possible to give a comprehensive, fair and honest review based on a couple of hours. Sure maybe check in was longer than anticipated , sure maybe you didn't get the exact room you " requested" ...but roll with it ... Too let the first few hours of your vacation ruin everything because you are tired and cranky from travelling seems pointless. Relax , talk to people on site that could actually do something to fix the situation ...blasting about it on TA serves no purpose

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reviews

Reviews that are made while the guest is still at the resort are irritating, because the review cannot possibly provide a full account of the person’s stay or provide a description of how a property ultimately addresses any criticisms/complaints. Reviews that are made before a person even stayed at the property shouldn’t even be considered a “review” and it’s pretty obvious that the person has an ax to grind. The only exception I can think of is perhaps a person who is planning a wedding. If the resort is totally unresponsive to attempts to plan a wedding, I can see how that review could be helpful to other brides considering that resort. But I still think that TripAdvisor reviews should ultimately be geared toward people who have completed a full stay at the property.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reviews

I do like when people do live froms especially when they are willing to check on something for others which makes it clear that their purpose is not to get something for free.

Reply to: Reviews
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted