We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahia Principe Ambar

Southern Wales...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Bahia Principe Ambar

Hi All

I have booked to stay at the above hotel, and would appreciate it if you can tell me do they provide toiletries? also the cost of toiletries and mossie spray please?

Many Thanks

RPG

11 replies to this topic
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

They provide basic toiletries, shampoo, bath gel, body lotion, etc. Bring bug spray from home, itwill be very expensive in PC.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

Bring all the bus spray ( with DEET) and sunscreen you need. I bough sunscreen in the Bahia resort shop a few years ago and paid $30 USD.

There are basic toiletries, soap, body wash, lotion, shampoo and conditioner.

Southern Wales...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

Thank you both very much, sorted......

RPG

Oshawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

Rouses Point G,

The Ambar supplies their house brand called “Don Pablo” shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, bars of soap, shower cap, comb, sewing kit, ear swabs, mini toothbrush, disposable shaver (no shaving cream) cotton balls, loofa's and emery board - your room service person will refill what is used or that you require more of - just let him/her know or you can advise your butler and they will gladly restock the supplies for you.

An 1800 watt hair dryer and shaving mirror are also included in the rooms.

It seems that just as many guests will bring their own shampoos and conditioner, however, it is a personal choice.

As so correctly mentioned above by poster Edmonton Mamma, it is much more economical to bring the mosquito spray from home versus buying it in the Dominican Republic.

Hope this does assist you.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Mentioned in this post
Southern Wales...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

Thank you so much Brooklin (Bubba King) your reply is very helpful.

We have never been to the DR before in fact never had a butler before, what do they actually do?

Many Thanks

RPG

Oshawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

Rouses Point G,

Butler service is currently available at the Luxury Bahia Ambar Green, Luxury Bahia Ambar Blue, Luxury Bahia Esmeralda and the Luxury Bahia Fantasia resorts only.

Here is what the resort states that the butler service may do for you:

- unpacking your luggage

- sorting your items in the drawers and closet

- taking personal care of your laundry needs (if any)

- polishing and cleaning of shoes

- arranging your dinner reservations at the a la cartes if you have not prebooked or assisting with making any changes to prebooked a la cartes with guest services dept

- obtaining your pillows you wish to order from the pillow menu (scented, memory foam, goose feather, etc.,) and advise if they are returned each day if you wish to maintain the same ones (scented pillows need to be removed daily and re-scented)

- bringing ice to your room for drinks if required as ice making machines are not provided in each guest room building due to health concerns

- getting daily press from your country or choice of country

- making sure your jacuzzi bath tub is ready for whatever time you request it -(even getting a surprise for the couple, like flower hearts, lit candles, etc)

- can assist in bringing loungers brought to a location you wish to set them up at on the beach (this does not mean that they will reserve loungers for guests)

- Ironing one set of clothes on the day of your arrival or departure

The butler service is available at no additional cost at the Ambar, Fantasia and the Esmeralda resorts (not including tips). They are a great source of information about the resort and the surrounding area and can also assist in many other matters that may arise.

If you do wish to have the butler service, it is important to note that you must notify the staff at the front desk of this, when you first arrive at the resort so that they may assign a butler to you.

All of those in our travel group ask for the butler service every time we go - it just makes the holiday that much more of a special event - sort of like the icing on a cake ! - especially for my wife and whatever makes her happy, works for me ! LOL !

However, the services one uses them for are definitely up to each guest to decide.

The ladies seem to use a bit less of the services they provide, than I do - I like them to unpack everything for me as I tear out to go sailing or to the beach or pool as soon as we get to the resort. We tip for each service we have them do for us - this may range from $5 to $20US – however, the amount of any tip is entirely up to each guests as they are always appreciative of any amount.

They unpack my clothes and hang up what is required and place everything in the drawers for me - my wife takes care of her own articles. They bring us ice every day at the same time as we request - 6:30pm for a nice drink before we head out to dinner or at another other time that we may need it - they got a nice cake for us on a few occasions and flowers for my wife when I had asked, occasionally they re-arrange our a la cartes with guest services if we have a change in our evening plans and place the reservation receipts back in our room - they always come to replace our pillows that my wife has selected from the pillow menu - she prefers the scented pillows and they have to go out to be re-scented each day (we do not tip for that) as I like to leave he/she a nice tip for the things I never see them do on our final day or their final day if they will be off before we leave, of perhaps $40-$50US (again – the amount is up to each guest), like changing the pillows - the turn down service as they do that before we get back from the evening activities as we often party late (3-5am) or I head into Fruisa/EL Cortecito/Bavaro or Los Corales, they leave extra little boxes of chocolate on the pillows for us (I love chocolate) - he/she arranges for more drinks of whatever we desired in the mini fridge (Presidente) and makes sure there is extra every day for me (and I don't even have to ask), the "Special Surprise" when they prepare the jacuzzi tub with bath foam, candles all around and more rose petals that one could imagine before we get back from dinner (and the tub is still hot !) - there are likely more things that they have done as well - and they will also call your room to ask if there is anything else they can do for you.

It is like developing a new friend and very importantly, they are a great source of information about anything throughout the entire resort complex.

The reason they ask guests to advise the front desk staff when you check in, is simply so that they do assign a butler to you as all guests may not require this service - it is a service that is available "on request" and occasionally they have often assigned two to us.

The majority of guests do not make use of the butler service or may not even realize that it is available or feel that they may not make use of them - we all sure do ! I always suggest to meet the butler at the time of requesting the service and obtain their phone number so that if I have to call them wherever I may be on the resort, I have it - they will take care of everything so nicely !

Hope this does help you.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Southern Wales...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

John thank you for the comprehensive outline of the butlers role. So you need to tip them after each task? Or each day? And at the end of your vacation🤔

Rpg

Oshawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

RPG

As I mentioned above, when and how much you do decide to tip them, is entirely up to each guest.

We always tip them for each service we ask them for each time they do so as one never knows when the butlers may change or be on their days off - we then provide a tip at the end of our vacation for the things they do when we don’t see them, as referenced in my previous post - to be sure they are available on our final day, we ask him/her when they will be off and supply them another larger tip as our appreciation for everything they have done to make our vacation so memorable.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Edited: 07 August 2018, 01:52
Southern Wales...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

Thank you very much John you have been a great help. Just to clarify what would you pay them for to run your bath and how much to organise your beach chair?

Thanks again

Rpg 😀

Oshawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar

Rpg,

For "running the bath" - this would be what they call the "Special Surprise" - candles, flower petals from the door to the room right to the tub and bath bubbles galore. - As the butler has this all set up when we get back to our room, - this is covered in what we like to pay them on their, or our final day, as mentioned in post #6.

I have never had the butler lift or drag a lounger to the location we desire at the beach as we just do that ourselves, but if I did do so, I would pay a minimum of $5 - $10

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Reply to: Bahia Principe Ambar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted