We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana in March

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana in March

Hello,

I have been looking a Punta Cana all inclusive vacation package through Southwest Airlines, since that is our preferred airline. We plan to go the beginning of March 2019 after my husband takes his bar exam.

I see that beginning of March is around $4k for two people right now (from Dallas), but dates in November are half that much. Several questions:

1. Does anyone have a better suggestion on how to book the package other than through Southwest considering that we prefer that airline and love field airport over DFW?

2.Is November just a super cheap time to go, or will the price for March drop if I wait until around 3 months prior? Basically, when should I book it to get the best deal?

3. What resort would you recommend for two adults, early 30s? We don't drink much, but we will want good food options and a less crowded resort with nice and clean beach. Also, I saw some that advertise bonfires and low key activities and water sports - that would be a plus for us. We're not too much into clubs/ nightlife or shows.

Thanks in advance for your advice- we've never been to Punta Cana or an all inclusive!

6 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana in March

Yes March would definitely be more expensive than November which is low season and the end of hurricane season. So do expect to pay much more in March if that is when you want to travel. As for resort, although you are fairly young, you seem to want a more relaxed atmosphere. I would recommend both Excellence or even Secrets Cap Cana. There are a few others at a lower price but those would offer nice selection for food, service and are a bit more relaxed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana in March

Southwest is my preferred airline as well. You can only fly Southwest if you purchase the ticket on their website or through Southwest Vacations, so there isn't any other third party you can use for a package if you want to fly Southwest.

I always use points for my flights and book directly through the resort. You can see if you can get a lower price by booking your room and flight separately, as a package isn't always necessarily the cheapest option. There are plenty of third parties you can use to book the resort (Expedia, Orbitz, etc) or just book directly.

March is one of the most expensive times to travel and fall is low season (families aren't going on vacation/people are in school). Hurricane season is June-November but the chances of a hurricane directly hitting Punta Cana when you're there are quite slim, and you'd know well in advance if anything was brewing.

Since March is still quite far away, airlines might not be offering flights that far in advance yet (for example Southwest is only booking through 3/6/19). You might see prices drop a bit when more airlines start offering bookings for next spring.

As far as resort recommendations go, I'll stick with what's offered through Southwest Vacations for now. Check out both Excellence properties, both Secrets properties, Iberostar Grand, Sanctuary Cap Cana, and Chic.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,506 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana in March

November is technically hurricane season.

The bulk of us from the frozen North prefer to take our winter holidays during our winter. February and March being prime time. Also consider Spring breakers from both Canada ( mid February for university and college) and March for families with school aged kids, and the USA. Punta Cana sees vacationers from all over the world.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 01:23
murillo
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana in March

the only resort mentioned above that is under 4K is Chic...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana in March

Thank you! I've now got a short list of hotel options!

Sharon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana in March

Did you check into April into May for a possibility. Also, Ft Walton, Fla. is on the gulf coast and April and May would be a great time to visit. It's been feature on TV in Pennsylvania.

Reply to: Punta Cana in March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted