We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana in October

Gardner...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Punta Cana in October

Staying on Punta Cana for a week oct 8th, that’s rain and hurricane season ??

17 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Punta Cana in October

It can rain any time, and hurricane season is June-November. Don’t stress about it, just have trip insurance. If there’s a hurricane brewing, you’ll know well in advance and can react accordingly. It’s been quite some time since PC experienced a direct hit.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,908 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Punta Cana in October

It's been a very quiet summer so far so all good. I am potentially travelling at the end of September and the weather will not be a factor for me. Looking forward to returning to PC.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: Punta Cana in October

Thats definitely the height of the rainy/stormy/hurricane season. It's likely why the prices were so reasonable as well. I've been to the Dominican twice in August (also rainy season) and it's rained about 50% of the time on both occasions. You'll likely see a fair bit of rain, but hopefully they'll be short storms only lasting an hour or two.

It certainly won't ruin your trip, I usually just head to the restaurant or the room when it starts rain, it usually clears up within a couple hours and then I can head back out.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
475 posts
409 reviews
4. Re: Punta Cana in October

Not to worry! There's only been one hurricane hit on PC, back in October 1955. Statistically you are pretty darn safe!

puntacanabavaro.com/news/dont-be-afraid-of-h…

Hurricane Probabilities – USA Today

Jeanne (Category 1). 16 September 2004. East Coast, Samana and Puerto Plata.

Georges. (Category 3). 22 September 1998. Santo Domingo and La Romana.

Hortense. (Category 3-1). 10 September 1996. East coast, Punta Cana to Samana.

Gilbert. (Category 3). 11 September profile tracker facebook francais 1988. Barahona on the southwestern tracker lite for android coast.

Emely. (Category 4-2). 22 September. Bani on the southwestern coast.

David. (Category 5-4). 31 August 1979. Santo Domingo.

Eloise. (Category 1). 13 September 1975. Landfall on the northeast coast.

Beulah. (Category 4). 10-11 September 1967. Barahona on the southwestern coast.

Inez. (Category 4-3). 29 September 1966. Barahona on the southwestern coast.

Edith. (Category 2). 26-27 September 1963. La Romana on the southeastern coast.

Katie. (Category 1). 16 October 1955. Barahona on the southwestern coast.

San Zenon. (Category 4). 3 September 1930. 200 km/h. Santo Domingo.

Lilis (Category 3). 21 September 1894. Santo Domingo and the southwestern coast.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Punta Cana in October

Our anniversary is in October, so we have done a great deal of traveling during this time(including our honeymoon)

We are again travelling from 9/8 - 10/5. We made sure we bought good travel insurance. Also, most resorts are designed so that in the event of rain, you can still access the lobby,/ main lobby area without too much inconvenience.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
480 posts
239 reviews
6. Re: Punta Cana in October

I wouldn't worry too much :) I have been to Punta Cana in October and never got rained out. I have found it to be the "humidest" month I've experienced in Punta Cana, but personally I love extremely hot & humid weather :) Get travel insurance just in case but don't worry too much about the weather in general! Just enjoy yourself.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,448 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Punta Cana in October

Hi

We have been several times in September / October and whilst some trips we have had near perfect weather other trips we have had some back to back wet / dull days

It can and does rain

We are off to Jamaica in late September this year and do expect some rain or even worse as it is the hurricane season so who knows what weather fronts / storms will be about

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Punta Cana in October

Flipflopman

Are you trying Excellence Oyster Bay?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,448 posts
75 reviews
9. Re: Punta Cana in October

Yes, we are off to EOB in late September for 14 nights

West Chester
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Punta Cana in October

We have been to the Caribbean 13 times, and typically travel during hurricane season to take advantage of the lower rates. On 12 of those trips, the weather was just fine. In 2005, however, we were scheduled to land in Cancun the day Wilma, a category five hurricane, made a direct hit. Fortunately, as our trip approached, we had been watching the hurricane reports, and we cancelled a few days before Wilma arrived. Also fortunately, we had a very good "cancel for any reason" travel insurance policy, and we didn't lose any money.

The moral of the story is that you can happily travel during hurricane season if you buy good insurance (as many others have mentioned), keep an eye on the weather service, and accept the fact that once in a while you may be forced to cancel a trip.

So, take precautions, relax, and most definitely enjoy your trip!

Reply to: Punta Cana in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted