We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Romana/ Santo Domingo/Punta Cana

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
La Romana/ Santo Domingo/Punta Cana

Hi, I am going to the DR next week. It will be our first time here. We are staying at the Gran Bahia Principe in La Romana. We've decided to rent a car a drive around to explore the country. We were thinking one day we can drive from La Romana to Punta Cana. Another day we could drive from La Romana to Santo Domingo. Does anyone have any suggestion as to where to stop along the way to sightsee, eat, or check out cool things? We are excited about the tropical fruit stands and don't know where about to find those neither. Thanks for your advices and comments.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La Romana/ Santo Domingo/Punta Cana

My suggestion is to not drive, the roads/traffic/drivers in Santo Domingo are intense and insane. A tour would be much safer and wiser.

new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Romana/ Santo Domingo/Punta Cana

hi bemaii i hope you have a nice trip. i have family in houston. i have to agree with rv429 or load up on the insurance. most people travel to the area that your staying in. go to the top of the page check out things to do in la romana. i have to ask though, why go to all inclusive resort to travel away all the time? but have a good time locating the fruit stands. cheers

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Romana/ Santo Domingo/Punta Cana

GBP La Romana is about 2 and half hours drive to Punta Cana, and that is if you know the road, so I don't think it would be a fun day trip. You would have to go for two days to enjoy it a bit.

And have to agree with the stress driving in Santo Domingo, you get to see more and enjoy it ore if you take a private taxi and go wherever you want if you don't like organized excursions.

If you have never been driving in a country like this, I wouldn't suggest it, if you have make sure you have a good insurance on the rental car and do not drive after dark if you don't have too. The roads are not in the perfect shape, not marked well and the vehicles are on the roads without light lots of times, or with head lights on, so so either do not see them or you are blinded.

Happy travel

Denise

4. Re: La Romana/ Santo Domingo/Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:46