We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iCB weekend locals

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
iCB weekend locals

Hi all,

Just booked a fortnight for new year 2012, read a few reviews saying the hotel is invaded by badly behaved locals at weekends.this would be disappointing if the hotel allows this by selling off vacant rooms on the cheap.hopfully it should be fully booked with tourists at new year anyway .i'm not "anti local" by the way, some tourists can be just as bad, but there seems to be some truth In this

Wigan, Lancashire
Level Contributor
939 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iCB weekend locals

At ICD we had locals when we were there.

Issues.... None

Preferential Treatment..... None seen by us

Did they enjoy themselves...... Yes

Did we enjoy ourselves....... Yes

Should you be worried....... No

Dave

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iCB weekend locals

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that the locals stay on the cheap? If you are not "anti-local" than what is it that bothers you about this? That you think that they must have paid less than you?

It is far more common for resorts to large quantities of rooms in bulk at a deep discount rate to foreign tour companies who in turn sell tour packages where the guests can stay at these hotels on the cheap. In the low season, (which is now most of the year in Puerto Plata), most all inclusive hotels in that area only see revenue of about $20-$30 per person per night once all the money collected for tax and the mandatory service charge is passed along.

Yorkshire England
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iCB weekend locals

We have just returned from this hotel and on the weekend ( friday-sunday) the locals was aloud to come in and we was told they had paid 68 dollars for 3 days but we counted 6 in 1 room. Also at the bars they just pushed in at the front and was bad mannerd they was worse in the pool taking glasses in to the pool and using the safety rings as toys. Quite a lot of people had complained and we had been told that things was going to change they are going to explain to the locals when they check in that if they don't comply with the rules they would have to go. Apart from the weekends every thing elce was good

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: iCB weekend locals

Thanks for that smithandroper,think you might have made Eric m look a little silly there.there are two very recent reviews more less saying the same thing,hopefully bad behaviour by locals OR tourists will be addressed by the time I get there.

The hotel management do read reviews on TA so it's important people are honest and say how it is

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iCB weekend locals

I stayed at this hotel last year for 2 weeks and the weekends were horrendous no sunloungers to be had no tables, food or plates in the buffet at night and pushing to the front of the bar queues all the time. I would not return here as it ruins the weekends and when you have paid a large amount to get there it does not seem right. This hotel is fabulous midweek but really goes down hill from Friday evening :o(

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iCB weekend locals

jagsy99

Best advice .... STAY HOME and let the locals enjoy the hotel

BObK

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: iCB weekend locals

You a "local " by any chance bob? Do you think it's a good idea to tell tourists to stay at home then and cut off the main industry in DR? If you care to read the posts here and on the hotel reviews there's plenty saying the same thing, sounds to me like you don't like to hear the truth,you're getting defensive.i only asked whether this stuff was going on.

This forum is about UNBIASED and honest info and advice.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iCB weekend locals

As I said this hotel is lovely in the week but a madhouse at weekends, such a shame never had this problem at IB* Bavaro. At least people will know what to expect. Have a great holiday but forwarned is forearmed. The best idea is to make sure you book trips for weekends and reserve al a cartes for Friday and Saturday evenings that way you wont be disappointed.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: iCB weekend locals

Thanks ihgibbs, and everyone else for their honesty.i think it's best to be up front about it than stick your head in the sand.

I will be bringing my family as planned regardless of what the "expert" would like me to do ;-p

Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iCB weekend locals

Locals just enhance the experience, talk to them and they will chat back. I go abroad to mix with locals and tourists. Yes the do called locals may have different culture with regards to queuing etc but they are entitled to an holiday too. Just like us Brits go to british hotels the same time as no Gb residents!!!