We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drugs and Protitution

ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Drugs and Protitution

I may be doing a trip this Feb at the Barcelo Puerto Plata with my girlfriend and a female friend she is bringing. Are these problems on the resort?If we go out off the resort will we be bothered by this? Would Punta Cana be a better place? All responses would be greatly apreciated

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
39,118 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drugs and Protitution

Not in your resort. Unlikely, even if you venture out into town. There is drugs and yes, there is prostitution, but it's highly unlikely that you'll be approached by a drug pusher or a dealer. I never met one, but I know they're out there. You may see prostitutes, depending where you go. They won't bother you if you have company. And they're not every where. You got to go to an area or bar frequented by them.

You'll find prostitution in any tourist area of the DR. Punta Cana is not different.

Silvia

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drugs and Protitution

hi there

stayed at grand paradise playa dorada last year went to the atm a 5 minute walk from the hotel to the plaza and was propositioned by 3 different girls also found out another guest was found out to be buying something to smoke from a guy on the beach, altho i know they trying to stop it but a few will always get past but on the whole its very safe if i was you i wouldnt worry too much about it or you would go nowhere have a good trip .

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drugs and Protitution

Not a problem at the hotel; depends where off the resort you go. We came across both at the plaza in the evenings but all you have to say is no and they leave you alone. Much more so in Sosua, but again, you can pick out the "hot spots" pretty quickly, if not the locals will readly tell you where they are, so just avoid them! The problem I had at this hotel was the vendors on the beach, even with my hubby (who's 6'3, 260lbs and tattooed from head to toe) right beside me they'd try to kiss me or grab my boobs, had a few wanting to know how low my tattoos went; there are security guards on the beach so if they really bug you just flag one of them down.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drugs and Protitution

What is Protitution?

It is nothing without the s or $...lol

ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drugs and Protitution

Haha wow They really tried to grab your boobs? I remember in Puerto Vallarta.A lil kid put his head on my ex's chest and started to Motor boat

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drugs and Protitution

At any time of the day or night, you will find prostitutes of both sexes and nearly all ages on the streets and beaches of the Dominican Republic. This is the same no matter where in the country you visit, and either inside or outside of the confines of your resort. That said, there are areas where it is a little more out in the open and in your face than others (like Boca Chica, or Sosua). Other areas, while it is always present, it is more discrete, and inside the resorts its even more discrete. If you are traveling as a couple or as a family with kids you will not be bothered by them and will probably barely notice it going on. A solo traveler to the Dominican Republic or a group of single friends, male or female, can expect to be flirted with and propositioned on a constant basis. Even getting friendly with employees on the resort can lead to being invited to meet somewhere outside the resort one night. (they will NOT risk their job by having any romantic relationship or any other arrangement with hotel guests inside the resort).

So bottom line is unless you are actually looking for it, for the most part you won't even notice it. But it is always there.

7. Re: Drugs and Protitution

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 21:47