We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU to Playa Dorada Shopping. How far? Worth it?

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
RIU to Playa Dorada Shopping. How far? Worth it?

I have been seeing that the tours booked from the Playa Dorada complex are cheaper than the reps at the hotels. Is it worth taking a cab or walking (not sure of distance) to PD to book excusrsion? Or is the savings minimal when you factor in cost to get there? Are they any excusions you can only book at PD?

Thanks! Only 1 month and 9 days to go!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU to Playa Dorada Shopping. How far? Worth it?

Hi it isn't really possible to walk to PD complex it is very far from Riu complex, your cheapest option would be to get the bus from the main road across from riu(where the riu billboard is) it cost us 3 usd but we had to change buses near the hospital, this was a bit hair raising for us as we didn't realise that we needed to change and we were pestered by a local who wanted to show us around and take us to a market, we did feel intimidated by this but we did find the right bus and got to PD complex in one piece, however we opted to take a cab back at a cost of 35 usd

As far as excusions go, yes some were slightly cheaper but if you were to take taxis to and from riu then it certainly wouldn't work out cheaper, but taking the bus may keep the cost down slightly

toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU to Playa Dorada Shopping. How far? Worth it?

the cost to and from playa dorada is about $35-40 round trip from the riu....the cabbie will wait for you. we went there from the riu for a night to go to the discos there.

as for excursion, for sure off the resort is cheaper. town of puerto plata, sosua and cabarete all have places to book excurions, plus if you book it there, you can visit and tour that town as well.

riu hotels to playa dorada: 20 mins

to sosua: 45 mins

to cabarete: 1 hour

sosua and cabarete are beach town which are quite nice, there is shopping there as well....you can go surfing, kitboarding, windsurfing there.

read my review of the bachata if you want more info!

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU to Playa Dorada Shopping. How far? Worth it?

I read your review KC thanks for the insight. I really have no want/or need to go to PD except for teh excusrsions but since it is so far away I'll just book at the hotel. No sense in being dollar wise and penny foolish!

4. Re: RIU to Playa Dorada Shopping. How far? Worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 19:47