We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

Essex
Level Contributor
87 posts
31 reviews
Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

Hi,

We are going to Gran Ventana on 4th May for our first trip to Caribbean. We have a Standard room (called deluxe, but sure this means standard) and wanted to know if there are mini bars/fridges in the room. We are taking our 15 month old and this will be handy for his milk etc.

Also I have noticed that people have mentioned that the Beata block of the Hotel is noisy so I emailed the hotel to ask not to be put in this room - any other tips and ideas to ensure a comfortable stay

Also advise most welcome if you have travelled with a toddler.

Many thanks in advance

Sarnia, ON
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

Yes - it is a standard room - they refer to them as "Superior" rooms in Canadian travel books.

Your room will have a mini fridge - it is located in a cabinet usually below the TV or, looks like part of the dresser.

The best blocks for travelling with a baby would be the Saoña or Catalina buildings. You might also want a ground floor otherwise, you will be taking everything up and down stairs. There are no elevators at the Gran Ventana. You will be able to wheel a stroller everywhere in the complex except to the upstairs area where the internet computers are and the Octopus Restaurant area.

We have never traveled with toddlers but, always see lots of families there with stollers and they seem to be having a fabulous time. The staff adore children and there is a Children's Club which seems to be very well run.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

Hi, we had a superior room & the fridge is in a cabinet with a door, just a tip for you.... keep the door of the cabinet open most of the ways, as it keeps the fridge alot cooler. We found that with the cabinet door closed, it was a little on the warm side.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

we travelled with our 14 month old this past Jan and i would have to recommend a floater for the pool for them. My son loved floating in the pool all day, it was the best investment!!!! other then that, lots of sunscreen ( we went through more then i thought we would for him) and a stroller. My son also used a small bubba keg mug to have water in all day, it stayed cool longer and he liked being just like daddy! LOL we had then fill it up with half ice and it was nice cold water for him!

travellin111
2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

When you check into the hotel request 2 keys because when you enter your room you have to insert the handle of your key chain into a box in order for the power to come on in the room. If you leave the room and take the key out I believe the fridge power goes out too. Anyone disagree ??

Leave one key in the box at all times, we did - cold fridge all day !

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
112 reviews
5. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

yup that's the way it works! We did the same to keep the milk in the fridge cold.

Sarnia, ON
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

Nope - you do NOT have to leave the key fob in to keep the fridge on! It only affects the A/C and the light switches.

The wall plugs are NOT affected if the key fob is not in. I have plugged in my battery charger before going out and, they were charged up when we returned.

To test - turn on the TV and then remove the key fob - most rooms we've been in, the TV and fridge are plugged in the same outlet.

Melville, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

Hi, we were a big group with 6 rooms at the Gran V, and everyone had the fridge in a cabinet. We upgraded to a junior suite. VERY roomy and it was located in the Saona building. Highly recommend that one. EVERYONE on the staff was more than accomodating to us all. Yes, no elevators so a room on the first floor might be the best for you. Some rooms by the kids club, and the pool generator had a musty smell to them, but the front desk, quickly and kindly switched them. If you leave your key in the switch, you take the chance that the housekeeping staff will remove it and then you have to go to the front office to get it back. Take an old business card(or 4) and use it instead. They work just as well and you won't have to panic if it is removed. If you ask the housekeeping, they will place a fresh bottle of milk in your fridge daily. Like I said, they are so accomodating. Have fun, and USE LOTS OF SUNSCREEN. Oh, and you might want to take a little bug spray too. We weren't bothered by them, but some of the kids seemed to get a few insect bites.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

more hotels should be like that then, all the ones i've been to - once you pull out the key that's it, everything turns off with in 15 min.

Essex
Level Contributor
87 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

Wow - so many and what a great set of replies - all advice really appreciated and I cant wait now. Just need to get that flight over with - my little boy cant sit still for 2 minutes these days.

Keep them coming in and thank you once again.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
112 reviews
10. Re: Gran Ventana Hotel - Fridge/Mini bar - room advice please

oh i feel for you on the flight...:( I remember our in Jan and it was not good :(. My boy is Extremely active and i knew it was going to be a challange and it sure was! nothing we brough kept him interested, he just wanted to wander the asile. which was fine with me but when taking off, turbulance and landing he refused to sit in our lap!!! Oh the scream..... he fussed and i was oh so embarassed..... ON the way home it went really smooth b/c we had a 1am flight and he slept the entire way home! thank goodness.... but then it took him 1 month to adjust bening home agin, i never would of expected that... i guess 2 weeks to a little one seems like forever, right. I hope you have a way better experience then i did on the plane, and good luck! :)